[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Let's C

mark@elsie.UUCP (Mark J. Miller) (02/04/87)

Does anyone have experience with the "Let's C" compiler and CSD debugger
from Mark Williams Co.? There was a rather favorable review of it in
the August BYTE, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually using
it. I have a 6MHz PC/AT at home, and would like an inexpensive C
compiler to play with (I've been programing in C for several years
now). This one looks like a pretty good deal. Any experiences?

			Thanx,
						--elsie!mark

--
Mark J. Miller
NIH/NCI/DCE/LEC

psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (02/07/87)

> Does anyone have experience with the "Let's C" compiler and CSD debugger
> from Mark Williams Co.? There was a rather favorable review of it in
> the August BYTE, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually using
> it.

I have both the Mark Williams "Let's C" and the ECO C-88 C Compiler
by Ecosoft.  I have stopped using the Mark Williams compiler because I
find the Ecosoft compiler to be much superior.   The MW compiler does
not produce standard MS-DOS .OBJ files so you have to use their own
linker - this makes it difficult to link in foreign binaries such as
assembly code unless you purchase their private assembler which is
not provided with "Let's C"

The Ecosoft compiler is a complete implementation (the latest release
includes bit fields) and has a number of other nice features such as
tiered error checking (many lint-like checks), the new ANSI standard
feature called "prototyping" for catching errors in function arguments,
and a very complete library including many "UN*X like" system calls.
You can optionally generate MASM compatible assembly files, another
thing the MW compiler cannot do.

The kicker is that all this costs less than "Let's C"  When I last checked
"Let's C" was $79.95, the latest Ecosoft compiler is $59.95

Feel free to contact me for more information, or contact Ecosoft at
1-800-952-0472 (orders) or 1-317-255-6476 (technical info).

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Mark Williams Company or Ecosoft
other than as a very satisfied customer.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpl!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (02/08/87)

I would suggest waiting a few months before buying an inexpensive C
compiler. Borland has promised Turbo C for March, and Microsoft
is rumored to have QuickC in beta. Either of these might be a
better vehicle for learning the language.

I hope that MS gets the QuickC out, because I like the user
interface of QuickBasic better than Turbo (personal opinion,
of course).
--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

scott@tg.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <1702@ihlpl.UUCP> psfales@ihlpl.UUCP (Peter Fales) writes:
>> Does anyone have experience with the "Let's C" compiler and CSD debugger
>> from Mark Williams Co.? There was a rather favorable review of it in
>> the August BYTE, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually using
>> it.
>
>I have both the Mark Williams "Let's C" and the ECO C-88 C Compiler
>by Ecosoft.  I have stopped using the Mark Williams compiler because I
>find the Ecosoft compiler to be much superior.   The MW compiler does
>not produce standard MS-DOS .OBJ files so you have to use their own
>linker - this makes it difficult to link in foreign binaries such as
>assembly code unless you purchase their private assembler which is
>not provided with "Let's C"
Just a note: I have the Let's C compiler and it did come with the assembler.
By the way the compiler works, it is looking for the program "as" in the
"standard" places.

I am not pleased with the Let's C compiler!  It has the tendency to over
optimize programs and has changed functionality at times (like leaving off
a particular assignment it decides can be eliminated in the name of
optimization).  Also, the csd debugger has some problems with output when
resetting window to stay on the source (like output overwrites the source)
and cannot look at individual bit fields.

A friend of mine just got a copy of the Datalight C compiler.  I am not sure
if this is the Optimal-C advertised in "Computer Language" as being faster
than Microsoft's version 4 C (anything is better than Microshaft :-}), but
it seems to be a good, complete package for under $100!  I would suggest to
anyone who is interested in purchasing a C Compiler to see the February, 1987
edition of "Computer Language" magazine, which is dedicated to C.

Scott Barman
{philabs, pyrnj}!tg!scott

ch2g#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/10/87)

> The MW compiler does not produce standard MS-DOS
> .OBJ files so you have to use their own linker - this makes
> it difficult to link in foreign binaries such as assembly code
> unless you purchase their private assembler which is not
> provided with "Let's C"

When I bought "Let's C," the assembler came with it. I found
it to be an excellent small model compiler with a UN*X cc style
interface. It produces excellent code and comes with uEMACS
and several UN*X style utilities.

Christopher Hoover

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

ARPANET:
    (*)	ch2g#@andrew.cmu.edu
	ch2g@tc.cc.cmu.edu
	ch2g@drycas.club.cmu.edu
	q104ch2g@vb.cc.cmu.edu

BITNET:
    (*)	ch2g@DRYCAS
	q104ch2g@CMCCVB

UUCP:
	...!ihnp4!cmucspt!andrew.cmu.edu!ch2g#

US MAIL:
        Box 1130
	1060 Morewood Ave
        Pittsburgh, PA 15213

AT&T:
	(412) 268-8667

ddc@osupyr.UUCP (07/09/87)

I have seen several recent messages commenting on Turbo C or Quick C.
I haven't seen any comments on Let's C.  The ads for version 4.0 look
very good:  fast compile, UNIX compatible, csd debugger included free,
etc.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this compiler?

As expected, I will summarize replies back to the net.

Don Comeau
Dept of Chemistry
Ohio State University
Bitnet:  TS3655@OHSTMVSA