[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 256 color mode on PS/2 Model 50

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (07/06/87)

    Can anyone tell me how to use the 256 color mode
    with the VGA board?  Hacking around, it appears that
    it may be mode 19.  Is that right?  How do I initialize
    the color look-up table, or otherwise select which 256
    colors I want to display in this mode?

    Has there been anything published on this yet?
    Is the technical reference manual available?

/tom

taran@rocky.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <35e61dc3.d5c4@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>    Can anyone tell me how to use the 256 color mode
>    with the VGA board?  Hacking around, it appears that
>    it may be mode 19.  Is that right?

Yep.  It's video mode 13 hex.

>    Is the technical reference manual available?
The  IBM technical manual does exist.  I am not sure how "available" it is but
it does exist. I've looked at it briefly and there seems to be a few
inconsistencies in the way they've described things.  For example, in
one place they describe mode 13h as "bit-plane" and in another place
they describe it as pixel-packed "memory-mapped"...sigh...

---Lee, taran@rocky.stanford.edu             [long live the Amiga!]

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (07/09/87)

In article <399@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> taran@rocky.UUCP (Lee Taran) writes:
>In article <35e61dc3.d5c4@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>>    Is the technical reference manual available?

Technical Reference manuals for any of the PS/2 (or PC) can be ordered
from IBM.  Phone number is 1-800-IBM-PCTB.   They take VISA, MasterCard adn
AmEx.  The part number for the Model's 50 and 60 is 68X2224, for the 80
it's 68X2256.  A mere $125 each.  I assume noone is interested in the 30 :-).

Jerry Whitnell
Communication Solutions, Inc.