[comp.sys.ibm.pc] trivial improvement Re: standards is standards Re: SQUASHED!

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (07/10/87)

In article <131@bernina.UUCP>, zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
> I don't understand why so many of you are against squashing. It produces
> smaller archives, what's so bad about that?
I ran multiple tests (reported here about three months ago) of
the various "archiving" programs.  The test covered several million
bytes, of various archive candidates (source code and
documentation).

*Squashing, at best, only produced 2.3% improvement, normally
less than 2.0% improvement*  I call that a trivial improvement,
and not worth risking creating archives incompatible with
UNIX(tm) sites, and those sites running SEA and/or Buerg software.
--
                         Terry Sterkel
        {clyde|harvard|cbosgd|allegra|ulysses|ihnp4}!whuts!tes