[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEDIT

peter@aucs.UUCP (06/30/87)

From dalcs!seismo!cmcl2!psuvax1!NDSUVM1.BITNET!NU013809 Sun Jun 28 14:30:42 1987
Date:         Tue, 23 Jun 1987 07:48 CDT
From: Greg Wettstein <dalcs!seismo!NDSUVM1.CSS.GOV!cmcl2!NU013809>
Subject:      Re: Program Editor
To: <AUCS!PETER>

I do a lot of consulting work in the Biomedical field.  The majority of
of my programming (and I do a lot) is done in C under MS-DOS.  The best
editor I have ever found or cared to use on the PC is an editor by the
name of QEDIT written by Sammy Mitchell down in Georgia.  The editor is
a mix of Turbo-Pascal and In-line assembler code and is available on a
lot of bulletin boards around the country.

Important features are:

FAST - The people who wrote the editor spent a lot of time getting
       speed out of this editor.  While speed is not probably as important
       with hark disks as it was with floppies QEDIT is the only editor
       I would even consider using on a floppy.  On a hard disk it is
       extremely fast.

COMPACT - In order to get speed out of the editor particular attention was
          paid to reducing the size of the executable file.  I think the
          .COM file comes in at around 37 or 38K.

MULTIPLE FILES - Qedit is a true multi-file editor.  It will edit any number
                 of files up to the limit of available memory.  I have edited
                 files greater than 400K with never a glitch.

SPLIT SCREEN - Two files may be edited at one time on a single screen with
               rapid toggling between them.  The amount of screen allocated
               to the two files may be dynamically toggled.

VARIABLE INDENTING - The editor can be configured to provide automatic
                     indentation of files based on the file extension. e.g.
                     C or H.

AUTOMATIC INDENTING - The editor has an auto-indent mode which will align
                      subsequent lines of text with the previous line.

USER CONFIGURABLE - A very good configuration program comes with the editor
                    which provides the user essentially complete control
                    over the keyboard layout, screen utilization etc.  A
                    person can configure the editor to mimic almost any
                    other type of word processor or editor.  A default
                    configuration file which comes with the program provides
                    a layout very similar to Wordstar.

QEDIT supplies about every feature I have ever wanted in an editor.  It
unfortunately has no provisions for macro's which has never really caused
me that much concern.  Its performance in all other areas more than makes
up for a lack of a macro facility.

By the sounds of his documentation I think Sammy and his outfit (SEMWARE)
are an easy organization to work with.  If QEDIT in its standard release
form does not meet all your needs I think a phone call to them would
probably produce some customization at reasonable fees.

I really think QEDIT is probably the best program I have found on the
Bulletin Board services and I have looked at a lot of software that floats
around.  I spend about 14 hours a day with computers and it is very apparent
to me that Sammy Mitchell knew what he was doing when he wrote QEDIT.

                                  As always,
                                  G.W. Wettstein

peter@aucs.UUCP (07/10/87)

From dalcs!seismo!cmcl2!MAILER-DAEMON Mon Jun 29 11:31:02 1987
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 87 08:40:05 EDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <dalcs!seismo!cmcl2!MAILER-DAEMON>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: dalcs!aucs!peter

550 NU013809... User unknown

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 87 09:18:04 ADT
From: seismo!dalcs!aucs!peter (Peter Steele)
To: cmcl2!NU013809

Thanks for your info. From your description, QEDIT sounds quite good.
Could you give the number and/or address of SEMWARE? I have access to
usenet and bitnet, but I haven't seen it posted there lately. It might
be quicker to give them a call. I have already bought Brief, which is
good, but it is large (100+ K). It has a money back guarantee and I maya
yet return it...
Peter W. Steele     UUCP     : {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter
Acadia University   BITNET   : {Peter|pws}@Acadia
Wolfville, N.S.     Internet : {Peter|pws}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Canada  B0P 1X0     PHONEnet : (902) 542-2201x121