[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo-C != Wizard-C

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/10/87)

In article <2003@drivax.UUCP>, alexande@drivax.UUCP writes:
> I heard a rumour that Turbo-C is actually Wizard-C that has been
> modified by Borland to be faster and flashier.  Can anyone confirm
> or deny this?

Yep.  Actually, Brad Silverberg (Turbo C product manager at Borland)
has already denied this in INFO-IBMPC, nee comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest.
Borland has bought some fair chunk of Wizard, and the former main
honcho at Wizard is now a Borland employee.  (I don't remember his name
offhand, but he's on the ANSI C committee.)  However, they've rewritten
it pretty thoroughly.  It now compiles faster, and has the "integrated
environment".

Borland lowered the price of the library source code from $295 to $150
before it was actually shipped.  It should be shipping by now.  (Anyone
ordered it?  Anyone gotten it yet?)

The header files all now say:
	#if __STDC__
instead of
	#ifdef __STDC__
to be compatible with the -A (ANSI compatibility) option.  The compiler
has had several patches to it.  (Thanks to the user who forwarded some
of them here).  The libraries haven't been changed.

Borland is in a tight spot, of a sort.  They've sold one hundred
thousand (!) copies of Turbo C.  As a result, they're extremely
reluctant to ship any sort of upgrade to the world unless it's *really*
necessary.  I suspect (this is only my opinion) they won't provide any
updates until 1.1 is available, which will have more features as well
as bug fixes.

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, UUCP {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,vax135,mtune}!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.