[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do you get both EGA and Mono monitors in one system?

pete@octopus.UUCP (07/09/87)

I want to use 2 monitors, so I can debug an EGA graphics program. I have an
EGA monitor and board. I got a mono board, but when it is plugged in, my
EGA screen goes wierd. I got nervous and turned it off.

Doesn't the EGA board map into the same memory space as the Mono board (since
EGA also simulates mono and CGA text)? Does this cause a problem or not?

Should I just expect the weirdness and go ahead with hooking up a monitor to
the mono board? I'd prefer the EGA to be 'primary' if possible!

Any advice from someone who has successfully hooked up both would be truly
appreciated!
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) (07/10/87)

You have to make sure the EGA card is not in MDA emulation mode.  The
EGA should either be in CGA or plain EGA mode.  (This comes from the
VEGA manual; I would assume that video addressing conflicts would be
applicable to any brand of EGA card.)

dB     hplabs!hpccc!blevins

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (07/11/87)

In article <273@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:

I have both a mono and an EGA hooked up to my AT and they work fine.

>Doesn't the EGA board map into the same memory space as the Mono board (since
>EGA also simulates mono and CGA text)? Does this cause a problem or not?

The mono maps into segment B000 and has 4K of memory, the EGA into segment
B800 and has upto 256K of memory, so they don't (shouldn't conflict).

>Should I just expect the weirdness and go ahead with hooking up a monitor to
>the mono board? I'd prefer the EGA to be 'primary' if possible!

NO.

>Any advice from someone who has successfully hooked up both would be truly
>appreciated!

One question, do you have an IBM EGA and IBM mono card or a
compatible??.  Some compatibles do map into the mono cards space.

Also, the switch settings on the IBM EGA card my have to be changed
to allow for the addition of the mono card.

Nick Mason.

   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
   {{cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{allegra,microsoft,
gatech!sb1,sb6,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,physio,uw-vlsi,cae780,tikal,telematic}
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@wiscvm.bitnet