[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Recent postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (07/05/87)

I am having trouble unARCing the two recent postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc:
HACK36EX.ARC and RHM.ARC. PKXARC (v3.4) complain that they are not valid
archives. I have no trouble unARCing previous postings, such as CGPLT.ARC
and even the new version of PK{X}ARC. So I am suspecting the recent postings
could have been corrupted somewhere along the line. Can someone please
confirm this one way or another?

What got me suspicious was that Part 3/8 of HACK, the posting says it has
750 lines, but after I deleted all the headers and trailers, I got 751 lines!
The last line looked like this: "MZ\              ". I really don't like the
looks of it! (NEVER saw a uuencoded line with only two bytes on the line;
ignoring the starting byte).

I would appreciate very much if someone can tell me (post or e-mail) their
experience with HACK and RHM. If lots of people is having the same trouble,
maybe we can get a re-post? Much thanks in adcance.

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

medin@cod.UUCP (Ted Medin) (07/06/87)

In article <327@skatter.UUCP> kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
>I am having trouble unARCing the two recent postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc:
>HACK36EX.ARC and RHM.ARC. PKXARC (v3.4) complain that they are not valid
>
>Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
>	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

 It took me several tries to down load rhm & hack36ex but i finally got
good copies of them both.

kuo@skatter.UUCP (07/11/87)

In article <327@skatter.UUCP>, kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) writes:
> I am having trouble unARCing the two recent postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc:
> HACK36EX.ARC and RHM.ARC. PKXARC (v3.4) complain that they are not valid
> archives. I have no trouble unARCing previous postings, such as CGPLT.ARC
> and even the new version of PK{X}ARC. So I am suspecting the recent postings
> could have been corrupted somewhere along the line. Can someone please
> confirm this one way or another?
>
> What got me suspicious was that Part 3/8 of HACK, the posting says it has
> 750 lines, but after I deleted all the headers and trailers, I got 751 lines!
> The last line looked like this: "MZ\              ". I really don't like the
> looks of it! (NEVER saw a uuencoded line with only two bytes on the line;
> ignoring the starting byte).

I thank all those who responded to my message above. Indeed Part 3 of HACK
was bad when it arrived at sask here. Someone (thanks again, Beverly!) send
me the last few lines in Part 3, and upon comparison I found that the 751st line
came out from no where, and a few bytes were lost from the "real" last line.
The lost bytes were not at the end (ie truncated trailing blanks), they were
something WITHIN the line!

Now we have HACK 3.6 up and running and are all happy HACK'ing away!

... Peter/