[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm upload but not download?

sewilco@cpt.UUCP (Scot E Wilcoxon) (07/06/87)

I'm using Procomm 2.4.2.   My UNIX machine (CTIX) has C-kermit 4D(060)
and zmodem.  I can upload files to UNIX with kermit or ymodem protocols.

I cannot download from UNIX to my AT-compatible with kermit, ymodem, or
xmodem.  Kermit complains that it can't open file, while the other protocols
just silently fail.  (I did try both text and binary in C-kermit)

Any ideas why the one-way flow?

--
Scot E Wilcoxon		CPT Corp, Minneapolis
(612)937-8000x2283	{ems,meccts}!cpt!sewilco

fischer@umn-cs.UUCP (Scott Fischer) (07/08/87)

> I cannot download from UNIX to my AT-compatible with kermit, ymodem, or
> xmodem.  Kermit complains that it can't open file, while the other protocols
> just silently fail.  (I did try both text and binary in C-kermit)

On the Unix end of the connection, you need to chmod the file to be
downloaded to 666 or some other mode that allows executable access by anyone.
It's a kludge, that we discovered after days of trying to download several
files.

| Scott Fischer - Computer Science Systems Group         |
| University of Minnesota - (612) 625-0876               |
| fischer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu or fischer@wkspe.cs.umn.edu  |
| rutgers!meccts!umn-cs!fischer                          |

jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP (07/11/87)

In article <1720@umn-cs.UUCP> fischer@umn-cs.UUCP (Scott Fischer) writes:
>> I cannot download from UNIX to my AT-compatible with kermit, ymodem, or
>> xmodem.  Kermit complains that it can't open file, while the other protocols
>> just silently fail.  (I did try both text and binary in C-kermit)
>
>On the Unix end of the connection, you need to chmod the file to be
>downloaded to 666 or some other mode that allows executable access by anyone.
>It's a kludge, that we discovered after days of trying to download several
>files.

First off, 666 is read and write access for everybody, not execte access.
Execute is the last bit of each octal digit and usually involves using
a 7 as the mode.

Secondly, this cannot be the only problem.  I have successfully downloaded
many files that were set to 644. (i.e. read write permission for user,
read only permission for group and other, execute permission for none)

|  _   /|               "Cat's don't look up to anyone."		      |
|  \`O_o'               "Especially not human beings!" -- Stephen Baker       |
|    ( )					          How to Live With a  |
|     U			Jim Boritz			  Neurotic Cat        |
|    Ack!               lotsofmachines!watmath!watdragon!jjboritz             |