[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 3.2 CNTL-S & CNTL-Q

brian@chemo.uucp (Brian J. McGinness) (07/10/87)

I have noticed something about cntl-s in DOS that bothers me.
When I attempt to pause some output by using cntl-s, and resume with
cntl-q, this only works about 15 times. After that, it refuses to pause
no matter what you do. I have a lister, but sometimes I still type files
and try to suspend and resume their output. Any ideas? Pls email to:
chemo!brian@wrl.epi.com     :INTERNET
seismo!epiwrl!chemo!brian   :UUCP

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (07/10/87)

In article <9.352645a231@chemo.uucp> brian@chemo.uucp (Brian J. McGinness) writes:
>I have noticed something about cntl-s in DOS that bothers me.
>When I attempt to pause some output by using cntl-s, and resume with
>cntl-q, this only works about 15 times. After that, it refuses to pause
>no matter what you do. I have a lister, but sometimes I still type files

Just so people don't get confused (or at least no more confused
than I am :-)...No version of PC/MS-DOS I have used actaully supports a
true kybd/screen XON/XOFF.  Try this...Start a long file scrolling on your
screen.  Then press ^S to pause...Now press ^S again (or any other key).
Voila.  XON/Xfoo.  Actually, I think Microsoft wants us to press
ScrollLock.  But I prefer using one of the 'more' or 'less' filters for
the PC to view files rather than dealing with the MS-DOS XON/Xfoo...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Center for Teaching Excellence
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

uccjcm@ecsvax.UUCP (Jonathon C. McLendon IV) (07/11/87)

In article <9.352645a231@chemo.uucp>, brian@chemo.uucp (Brian J. McGinness) writes:
> I have noticed something about cntl-s in DOS that bothers me.
> When I attempt to pause some output by using cntl-s, and resume with
> cntl-q, this only works about 15 times. After that, it refuses to pause
> no matter what you do. I have a lister, but sometimes I still type files
> and try to suspend and resume their output. Any ideas? Pls email to:
> chemo!brian@wrl.epi.com     :INTERNET
    The problem is that you are hitting ctrl-Q twice in a row.
    If you do this, ctrl-s no longer works. The solution,
    use ctrl-s to both start and stop the output (or use scroll-lock).