[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ARC vs. PKXARC extensions

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (07/12/87)

In article <4587@iucs.UUCP> bobmon@iucs.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) writes:
> Speaking of Squashing, [ ... ]
> [ ... ]  Both ARC and PKARC
> will accept archives whose extension is something other than .ARC -- you just
> need to specify the entire name-plus-extension.  Accordingly, how about if
> archives with Squashed entries are given an extension of .ARS?  (If this
> is a bit too racy for you, .ARK or .KRC (for Katz) are alternatives)

The extension .ARK won't do.  For an example, Phoenix Computer Products
Corp. (no, they're in Norwood, MA) has a product on the market called
PFORCE--that's pronounced "P 4 C".  PforCe is a library of functions
to assist a C programmer with menus, windows, b-trees, etc.  Anyway,
they provide source to their routines with the package.  The source
is supplied in archives with a .ARK extension, and there is an ARK.EXE
program supplied to allow you to extract things from the .ARK files.
ARK.EXE is copyrighted by Novum Organum, Inc.

My suggestion for an alternative extension would be .PKA (the reason
is left as an exercise for the reader).

- paul

--
UUCP: paul@devon.UUCP	-or-: ...{seismo,ihnp4,cbosgd}!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul

"No problem is so big or so terrible that it can't be run away from."
							-- Linus van Pelt