[comp.sys.ibm.pc] power on errors

martin@iris.ucdavis.edu (Bruce K. Martin Jr.) (07/11/87)

I'm experiancing several errors in a true-blue PC when it is powered  on.
Specifically, I'm getting a  1550 201  error on power up.  Could someone
tell me where I can get a reference that will diagnose what this is?
[my guess is a memory error with 1550 being some kind of address.  if this is
so, how can i figure out what chip it is?]

			...bruce

Bruce Martin Jr.  UC Davis Dept. of Computer Science
martin@iris.ucdavis.edu   -or-   ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!iris!martin

dbercel@sun.uucp (Danielle Bercel, MIS Systems Programming) (07/12/87)

In article <622@ucdavis.UUCP> martin@iris.ucdavis.edu (Bruce K. Martin Jr.) writes:
>I'm experiancing several errors in a true-blue PC when it is powered  on.
>Specifically, I'm getting a  1550 201  error on power up.

It is indeed a memory error and 1550 is the location of the
error.

Recently a friend of mine experienced this same problem and when
I solicited this newsgroup for help in determining the problem
chip I got about seven different locations mentioned to me.

Looking at my IBM Hardware Technical Reference Manual, at
the memory map diagram for the system board,
the error you have experience is in bank 1. The book says
it occurred between the 80K to 96K range but I realize that is
not very helpful. (This is relative to bank 0).

Finally, you should know that after all the suggestions came in
my friend tried swapping chips with some good chips according
the what everyone had recommended. Nothing worked and she
finally took it into Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale. A day
later she got a working machine back.

By the way, I should mention that 1550 is hex, not decimal.

danielle (I haven't been any help) bercel

--
UUCP:  {hplabs,decvax,}!sun!toto!{danielle,dbercel}