[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Miniscribe squeal

bc@njitsc1.njit.edu (Bill Cheswick) (07/10/87)

In article <1115@rayssd.RAY.COM> lfr@rayssd.RAY.COM (Larry F. Rogers) writes:

>After harassing my dealer for several months, I finally had my disk
>replaced with a Miniscribe.  It works just dandy, although its a
>tad slower and makes a bit of a whining noise (sort of like your
>ear's ringing).  I'm not sure if this is a problem with the drive
>or if the power supply is straining  (if anyone has seen this, please
>let me know), but it does not affect the drive functionally.

I have had that problem with my Miniscribe.  The disk
has worked flawlessly (literally) for two years otherwise.

I talked to a guru at Miniscribe, and he told me what the problem
is:  a grounding brush on the bottom of the disk's
motor.  This sounded ominous to me, but it turns out
that it is rather harmless and easily fixed:

        - remove the disk from the PC (I suggest
                a backup, first :-}
        - gently remove the circuit board from the
                disk.  This required unplugging several connectors.
        - You will see a small springy copper contact that presses against
                the hub of the drive motor.  That contact vibrates and
                produces a squeal. It is used to drain static charge.

You can do almost anything to dampen the squeal:  bend it a bit (which
didn't work for me), wrap a little rubber band on it, glue something
to it, etc.  I glued a little bit of insulation from a telephone wire
under it. The squeal is gone.  (The guru said that the newer disks now
use a conducting fluid in the bearings to drain the static.)

For my money, the Miniscribe hard disks seem to be about the best around.  They
are fast and almost as tough as the Core disks, which cost a LOT more.
BTW: I have the 44Mb AT version.

Bill Cheswick				ARPA: cheswick@jvnca.csc.org
The Cygnherd of Morristown		UUCP: bellcore!argus!njitsc1!bc

enchant@oliveb.UUCP (Dan Crocker) (07/14/87)

> You can do almost anything to dampen the squeal:  bend it a bit (which

Just be sure that the tab still makes a good contact with the spindle
motor or you will have trouble.

				Dan
--
Here comes the supernatural anesthetist