[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What ARC does when it sees a sq

jvc@mirror.UUCP (07/14/87)

Paul Homchick writes:
>/* From <3047@watdragon.UUCP> (Jim Boritz) */
>>When ARC comes across a file in an archive that is listed as being squashed
>>it does not simply issue an error message such as: [...] it tells you that
>>there is an error in the archive [...] I thought that for a quasi-commercial
>>piece of software, the error message was improper and insulting.
>Oh, I don't know about that.  For those of you who have forgotten, PKARC is
>a incompatible clone of SEA ARC.  And they are both somewhat "commercial"
>programs competing with each other.  SEA ARC is the original.  Why should it
>support Squashing?  If VP-Planner added a new feature to it's spreadsheet,
>do you think that LOTUS would support it?  Would you expect them to?

The first part of Jim's statement that Paul deleted (using [...]) is:
        "Unknown compression format.  Instead"
The second part of Jim's statement that Paul deleted (using [...]) is:
  ", and suggests that you don't know how to use the ARC program, and should
   go read the manual."

You missed the point!!  Jim was saying that when a program detected an
error in the archive or detected that it may be a newer version
(PKARC archives would look like it was archived with a newer version)
it should not insult you by stating that the user doesn't know what
s/he is doing.  Read the entire message next time, including the stuff
you omited using [...]!!! {Maybe you did but realized that if you left
Jim's statement as it was, you wouldn't be able to respond.}

As for "Why should SEAware's ARC make keep up with technology?" [this
is paraphase of Paul's question] , they shouldn't unless they wish to
have their program become obsolete and discarded.

[Paul, I didn't change the meaning of your question with my paraphrase
 anymore than you changed the meaning of Jim's statement by omitting
 sections of his statement. (I acutally made less of a change)]

jvc@mirror.tmc.com

Here is the original statement as Jim wrote it:

/* Written 12:59 pm  Jul  8, 1987 by jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP */

When ARC comes across a file in an archive that is listed as being squashed
it does not simply issue an error message such as: Unknown compression format

Instead it tells you that there is an error in the archive, and suggests