[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm and the xt and cmd files

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) (07/01/87)

Time for yet another stupid procomm question.
How do you escape out of a .cmd file?  I was calling a FIDO BBS, using
the FIDO.CMD file, and it didn't respond.  I tried to use Alt-H and
that sent a character.  Then I tried Ctrl-C and the machine crashed
with a Stack Overflow.  Can anybody help?
Smitty

--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

jvc@mirror.UUCP (07/02/87)

>Time for yet another stupid procomm question.
>How do you escape out of a .cmd file?  I was calling a FIDO BBS, using

Use the ESCape key.

jvc@mirror.TMC.COM

tj@utgpu.UUCP (07/02/87)

To escape from the command file just hit the escape key.
Alt-H sends ATH to the modem to hang it up (setable).

The stack overflow problem may be aided by increasing your DOS stack
size if you are using dos 3.2 or later. Look up the stack option of the
command option for config.sys.

robert4@garfield.UUCP (07/03/87)

In article <13067@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>Time for yet another stupid procomm question.
>How do you escape out of a .cmd file?  I was calling a FIDO BBS, using
>the FIDO.CMD file, and it didn't respond.  I tried to use Alt-H and
>that sent a character.  Then I tried Ctrl-C and the machine crashed
>with a Stack Overflow.  Can anybody help?

Try the ESC key! You may have to hit it twice to regain full Procomm control.

Rob

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/04/87)

As quoted from <13067@topaz.rutgers.edu> by msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith):
+---------------
| Time for yet another stupid procomm question.
| How do you escape out of a .cmd file?  I was calling a FIDO BBS, using
| the FIDO.CMD file, and it didn't respond.  I tried to use Alt-H and
| that sent a character.  Then I tried Ctrl-C and the machine crashed
| with a Stack Overflow.  Can anybody help?
+---------------

Hit ESC and you'll get COMMAND FILE ABORTED BY USER.  (I've had to do this when
someone tickles my call waiting while I'm trying to log in to another system.)

++Brandon
--
       ---- Moderator for comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc ----
Brandon S. Allbery	<BACKBONE>!cbosgd!hal!ncoast!allbery ('til Aug. 1)

dons@killer.UUCP (Don Simoneaux) (07/04/87)

The advertised way to abort a .cmd execution in ProComm is to hit the
ESCAPE key.  I have used this before and it has worked (ver 2.4.2).

--
	Don Simoneaux		Phone:  (214) 964-1859
	3605 Interlaken Dr.

dons@killer.UUCP (Don Simoneaux) (07/04/87)

The referenced article mentioned that hitting Ctrl-C while trying to
abort a .cmd file in ProComm caused the system to hang with a stack
overflow message.  I have seen reference to this type of problem as a
known bug in ProComm 2.4.2, but I thought it only occurred when hitting
Ctrl-Break.  I saw a patch for this on the net a long time ago, but I
decided to avoid hitting Ctrl-Break while running ProComm.  On the one
occasion I did hit it -- it did crash!  If my memory serves me right,
this may only occur when running DOS 3.x.

--

jamesd@qiclab.UUCP (James Deibele) (07/06/87)

In article <13067@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>How do you escape out of a .cmd file?  I was calling a FIDO BBS, using
>the FIDO.CMD file, and it didn't respond.  I tried to use Alt-H and
>that sent a character.  Then I tried Ctrl-C and the machine crashed
>with a Stack Overflow.  Can anybody help?
   First, you use the escape key to abort a command file.  Secondly, there
   is a known bug in Procomm---anytime you hit the Ctrl-Break (not the
   Ctrl-C) under DOS 3.2 using Procomm 2.4.2, you'll hang the system.  There
   was a patch floating around bulletin boards that would solve the problem.
   In the meantime, use the Ctrl-C combo instead.

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) (07/06/87)

Wow, there's an awful lot of helpful people out there!
Thanks to all who have filled my mail spool with replies.  Next time,
I'll try the manual first!
Smitty
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."
Tenafly, NJ 07670
msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu, msmith@remus.rutgers.edu   (Good luck getting there!)

frank@hplvlf.HP.COM (Frank Cada) (07/14/87)

I had a problem doing a CTL-ALT-DEL boot and found the problem to be
the mouse driver in my CONFIGS.SY file. I deleted it and the warm
boot begin working again.

Frank Cada
Loveland Instrument Division
UUCP: {hpfcla,hp-lsd,hpfcdc,hp-pcd,hpisla}!hplvla!frank
Telnet: 1-667-3877
Postal: PO. Box 301, Building 1D,  Loveland, Co.  80537