[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Moral Flames

randys@mipon3.intel.com (Randy Steck) (07/15/87)

In article <341@fornax.uucp> jl@fornax.uucp (JL) writes:
>>  --Original posting from:
>> Mike Gingell  ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg
>>
>> P.S. if any University Computer Systems has this program on file
>> I suggest they destroy it, they might get in big trouble from
>> local guardians of public morals.

>If you didn't like what you saw, then fine, erase the file.  But
>don't start preaching to the rest of us.

I would say that Mr. Jay-El was overreacting to this.  Preaching?  I just
read a suggestion for Computer Operations Departments here.  And actually
the suggestion might be a valid one given the obscenity rulings in certain
areas.

>     Why does everyone seem to want to blame someone ELSE for
>their own actions?  If someone had tied you to a chair, taped
>your eyelids open, held your head right at the computer screen
>and forced you to watch this program, then you would have a
>valid complaint and I would support you all the way.

An evaluation of a piece of software does not seem to constitute blaming
anybody.  I was glad to read Mr. Gingell's response simply because it is a
different viewpoint.  I believe Mr. Gingell has a right to his opinion,
whatever it might be, without fear of a personal attack from someone with a
differing opinion.

>The so called
>'local guardians of public morals'  are in reality nothing a bunch
>of sniveling, snotty cowards who hide behing cries of 'saving'

Since Mr. Jay-El seems to enjoy categorizations, would he also accept the
description of someone choosing to play the program in question as a
"loathesome, dirty, evil-smelling bigot"?  No, I thought not.  I guess
these sorts of generalizations really don't work very well, do they?

>So go crawl in a hole someplace and get
>someone to cover you over with about 6 feet of dirt, because it is
>obvious that you would be better off ( and probably happier ) there.
>
>--
>Jay-El

I strongly object to this personal attack on someone contributing to
the discussions on this newsgroup!  This contributes nothing to the
general increase of knowledge, and in fact inhibits postings that may
otherwise contain valuable information.  If you feel that this comment
in particular is warranted, please remove it from the public forum and
e-mail it to the individual in question.  I really do not care what
your opinion of other posters is.  I view these types of comments as
being as productive as a group of congresspersons bashing a Toshiba
radio in front of the national press (would you vote for one of these
people again?).

-- Randy Steck
   Intel Corp.
"Until something better comes along, I will settle for a 386".
Disclaimer:  These are my opinions.  But I will allow you to share them if
             you wish.