[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Squashing

jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (07/02/87)

Folks, when posting sources, PLEASE DON'T LET PKARC SQUASH!!!!

Many people use other ARCs which have no squashing ability -- have some
consideration for them.

Also, unix-ARC has no squashing ability.

						Spidey!

--
DON'T PANIC!!!                                          /\ Josh /\   At last! a
                                                       //\\ .. //\\  spider that

jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP (07/05/87)

In article <1248@osiris.UUCP> jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:

>Folks, when posting sources, PLEASE DON'T LET PKARC SQUASH!!!!
>
>Many people use other ARCs which have no squashing ability -- have some
>consideration for them.
>Also, unix-ARC has no squashing ability.

If you are downloading files from comp.binaries.ibm.pc then I can't say that
I feel sorry for you.  The moderator of the newsgroup stated clearly the
method which he would use for posting.  He even made sure to post the latest
version of PKARC.  At this point I made sure to download PKARC beacuse I
knew that I would need it to de-ARC other postings in the future.  Anyone that
has the opportunity to download from comp.binaries.ibm.pc, certainly (I hope)
had the same opportunity that I did to download PKARC.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE :-)

PKARC is being used because it is faster and more efficient.
The reason ARC files are used in the first place is to save space and thus
transmission time, costs etc.

By the arguments you would provide, you should state that files should not
even be ARC'ed in the first place because many people do not have any ARC
programs at their disposal. :-) :-)
I was in this postion myself a while back, and had to wait around till I got
an ARC program.

|  _   /|               "Cat's don't look up to anyone."		      |
|  \`O_o'               "Especially not human beings!" -- Stephen Baker       |
|    ( )					          How to Live With a  |
|     U			Jim Boritz			  Neurotic Cat        |
|                       						      |
|    Ack!               lotsofmachines!watmath!watdragon!jjboritz             |

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/06/87)

As quoted from <1248@osiris.UUCP> by jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond):
+---------------
| Folks, when posting sources, PLEASE DON'T LET PKARC SQUASH!!!!
|
| Many people use other ARCs which have no squashing ability -- have some
| consideration for them.
+---------------

I repost PKARC 3.5 every month.  (A copy is already on its way out.)  There
isn't much reason not to squash things in this case.  (And the saved space
has made the difference between a completed news feed and "no space on dev
0/0" on ncoast halting news.  You *do* want to receive the things, don't you?)

+---------------
| Also, unix-ARC has no squashing ability.
+---------------

Someone should get Phil Katz (?) to post the squashing algorithm so it can
be added to UNIX ARC.  I think that'd be a good idea regardless.

++Brandon
--
       ---- Moderator for comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc ----
Brandon S. Allbery	<BACKBONE>!cbosgd!ncoast!allbery (NOW!!!!)

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (07/06/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP writes:

>In article <1248@osiris.UUCP> jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
>>
>>Folks, when posting sources, PLEASE DON'T LET PKARC SQUASH!!!!
>>
>>Many people use other ARCs which have no squashing ability -- have some
>>consideration for them.
>>Also, unix-ARC has no squashing ability.
>>

>If you are downloading files from comp.binaries.ibm.pc then I can't say that
>I feel sorry for you.  The moderator of the newsgroup stated clearly the
>method which he would use for posting.  He even made sure to post the latest
>version of PKARC.  At this point I made sure to download PKARC beacuse I
>knew that I would need it to de-ARC other postings in the future.  Anyone that
>has the opportunity to download from comp.binaries.ibm.pc, certainly (I hope)
>had the same opportunity that I did to download PKARC.
>
>WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE :-)
>
>PKARC is being used because it is faster and more efficient.
>The reason ARC files are used in the first place is to save space and thus
>transmission time, costs etc.
>
>By the arguments you would provide, you should state that files should not
>even be ARC'ed in the first place because many people do not have any ARC
>programs at their disposal. :-) :-)
>I was in this postion myself a while back, and had to wait around till I got
>an ARC program.
>
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|  _   /|               "Cat's don't look up to anyone."		      |
>|  \`O_o'               "Especially not human beings!" -- Stephen Baker       |
>|    ( )					          How to Live With a  |
>|     U			Jim Boritz			  Neurotic Cat        |
>|                       						      |
>|    Ack!               lotsofmachines!watmath!watdragon!jjboritz             |
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>----------

     First of all, I'd like to say that I HAVE PKARC.

     Second, is the amount of space saved by squashing really worth the
aggravation to people who have ARC and can't understand why ARC won't
de-ARC a file?  You mentioned that the moderator "stated clearly the
method for which he would use for posting".  Is this statement always
available?  What about people who missed the first (?) posting where this
was stated?  "Tough luck", huh.  From the number of postings here, I'd say
that a fair number of people are having trouble with Squashing.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

chris@ciprico.mn.org (Chris G. Johnson) (07/09/87)

In article <3026@watdragon.UUCP> jjboritz@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Jim Boritz) writes:
>In article <1248@osiris.UUCP> jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
>>
>>Folks, when posting sources, PLEASE DON'T LET PKARC SQUASH!!!!
>>
>>Many people use other ARCs which have no squashing ability -- have some
>>consideration for them.
>>Also, unix-ARC has no squashing ability.
>>

>If you are downloading files from comp.binaries.ibm.pc then I can't say that
>I feel sorry for you.  The moderator of the newsgroup stated clearly the
>method which he would use for posting.  He even made sure to post the latest
>version of PKARC.  At this point I made sure to download PKARC beacuse I
>knew that I would need it to de-ARC other postings in the future.  Anyone that
>has the opportunity to download from comp.binaries.ibm.pc, certainly (I hope)
>had the same opportunity that I did to download PKARC.

Or at least, one would hope so.  I didn't go check, but if PKARC isn't available
right now for me to download, that's a fairly silly way to run a file exchange.
Maybe you should have just suggested to the former writer, and anyone who feels
the same way that they just download PKARC first.  If it isn't available, then
I have to agree with Josh Diamond.  New users join the net, and the newsgroup
everyday, right?  I'd sure like a little consideration be given them.

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Squashing

jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP (07/11/87)

In article <3320029@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

>     Second, is the amount of space saved by squashing really worth the
>aggravation to people who have ARC and can't understand why ARC won't
>de-ARC a file?  You mentioned that the moderator "stated clearly the
>method for which he would use for posting".  Is this statement always
>available?  What about people who missed the first (?) posting where this
>was stated?  "Tough luck", huh.  From the number of postings here, I'd say
>that a fair number of people are having trouble with Squashing.
>
>     -- Darryl Okahata
>	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo
>	CompuServe: 75206,3074
>
>Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
>opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
>have been following him all day.

If you had paid attention to comp.binaries.ibm.pc you would have noticed that
a few days ago, a summary was posted.  The summary listed all files that had
been posted in the last month and it also restated the method by which
binaries would be posted.

Following this, PKARC was posted again.  In the summary the moderator stated
that he would repost PKARC EVERY MONTH to allow newcomers to obtain it.
Thus on average newcomers would only have to wait 15 days for PKARC to roll
by their site once again.  This is probably an overstatement since many sites
hold postings for awhile.

I think that what people have trouble with is that they did not pay attention
either when Brandon Allbery (I'm tired of calling him "The Moderator") stated
the method he would use for ARCing files to the net.  Then they thought, "Well
I already have SEA's ARC, I don't need to download PKARC."  My only reply is,
"Well I already have DOS 1.0, I don't need DOS 3.X" :-)

My argument is that anyone that can download from the net to get software
like Right Hand Man and PC HACK, can also download PKARC.

I do agree that it is frustrating to download a file only to find out that I
do not have the right ARC program to de-ARC.  But if the conclusion is to
be compatible with the lowest common archiving methods, then what happens:

1.  to people with old versions of ARC.
2.  if SEA decides to make Squashing available.
3.  if newer and better (than squashing) methods for data compression
    are found.

Incompatibility has always been, and always will be a problem.  This is
especially true for shareware, where many many versions of a product are
released.  Sure squashing does not save that much space over the other
methods yet, but there may be better ones to come.  Are you going to argue
that progress should be halted to save a little frustration.

Let's all go back to 110 baud. :-)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (07/15/87)

As quoted from <54@cipric.mn.org> by chris@ciprico.mn.org (Chris G. Johnson):
+---------------
| >If you are downloading files from comp.binaries.ibm.pc then I can't say that
| >I feel sorry for you.  The moderator of the newsgroup stated clearly the
| >method which he would use for posting.  He even made sure to post the latest
| >version of PKARC.  At this point I made sure to download PKARC beacuse I
| >knew that I would need it to de-ARC other postings in the future.  Anyone that
| >has the opportunity to download from comp.binaries.ibm.pc, certainly (I hope)
| >had the same opportunity that I did to download PKARC.
|
| Or at least, one would hope so.  I didn't go check, but if PKARC isn't available
| right now for me to download, that's a fairly silly way to run a file exchange.
+---------------

It is possible that it's not available at your site; I didn't set the expire
date.  However, I have a policy that the latest version of PKARC (that I have)
will be posted each month along with the Info message.  Future postings will
have the expire date set to insure that each month's copy lasts until the next
month.

If, under this system, someone can't get their hands on a copy of PKXARC,
it's because they don't have comp.binaries.ibm.pc on their system.  (Aside
from network problems, in which case they'll be missing parts of the programs
they want as well.)
--
[Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved] \ ncoast 216 781 6201
[Redistributable only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.] \ 2400 bd.