From: davidsen@crdos1.UUCP
Subject: 80386 multiply test

I should add to my last posting that, because the problem *may* be
dependent on temperature, power supply voltage, etc, the test is
probably not definitive. However, if your chip fails you should
assume that it's bad. I have run it on several and none have failed
yet. Is that a good sign?

NB: the test runs many hours, if you haven't tried it yet!
The prices on 80386 machines keep dropping.  I see that AMT is now
selling their machines for $2000 and $2400.  The $2400 machine is the
AMI motherboard, which is what I have in my GV386, and the AMI BIOS.  It
comes without hard disk or display.  This *seems* to be the only machine
with 64k cache.

The $2000 machine is a Compaq clone, with column static memory on a 32
bit bus, a socket for an 80387, etc.  This machine has a Pheonix BIOS.
No memory on the mother board, but 1MB come with it, and sockets for
another MB.  A populated 4MB board is $1500.

Bottom dollar clone: my wife, who runs a system house, got a dealer
blurb on a Korean made 386 for $2995 with 30MB hard disk and
monographics but no monitor.  This has an 80287 socket.  I did a limited
check on the company and they seem for real (have been selling to C'land
for 2+ years).  I'll keep you posted, I think I'm going to get one and
see if it's any good.
Has anyone benchmarked the 80387 vs. the 80287. I have a 10MHz 80287
currently, and don't want to upgrade to a 16MHz 80387 if it's only 60%
faster. If someone has some personal measurement they can share,
particularly on multiply and divide, I would love to have it.

The programs which take too long on what I have now need a lot more than
60% to make them practical.
From: hughM@sixhub.UUCP
To: 386users@crdos1.UUCP
Subject: more on 80386 tests

**************** why couldn't they get it right? ****************

>From infoworld:

80386 Test Software Inadequate, Intel Says
	By Tom Moran

  Intel begin advising its customers last week that software said to
test 80386 chips for 32-bit multiply problems may not be able to do so
accurately.

  "The multiply problem is not just a function of the data being
multiplied," an Intel spokeswoman said about the problem that
occurs in a small percentage of the chips. (See "Firms Downplay
Impact of Intel 386 Chip Flaw," April 20.) "It's also subject to
the frequency at which the part is being operated, the voltage
being applied to the processor, and the ambient temperature."

  If a diagnostic program shows that a chip is bad, "that's fine
and correct if the program is a good program. But if it tells
you the chip is good, that's not necessarily true because of
those environmental factors. It's a caveat for people who want
to test their 386s," the spokeswoman said.

  Intel uses testers that cost around $3 million and are
designed to duplicate a complete range of environmental
conditions. "Taht's the only way to fully excercise the chip,"
the spokeswoman said.

  The company recommends that owners of untested 386s work with
the manufacturer or dealer they bought their systems from to
determine if they have a bad chip and if it should be replaced.

  In spite of shortages caused by the multiplying bug, Intel
said last week that it is still on schedule to meet its goal of
shipping 500,000 80386 chips this year. The revamped version of
the 386, said to solve the multiply problem, is due to ship in
July, Intel said.
To: 386users@UDEL.EDU
Subject: questions about 386 "bug" in MUL instruction
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 87 01:56:00 -0400
From: Steve Dyer <steinmetz!uunet!seismo!spdcc.com!dyer>

Dave Farber recently submitted a C/MASM combination (386bug.c and 386bug.asm)
to the INFO-IBMPC lending library at ISI.  I snarfed them today and
built a version to run under XENIX/286 on my Intel Inboard.  I guess I'd
like to understand better the failure mode the programs are supposed to test,
and whether a result of receiving no errors for the duration of the test
(it takes 7-8 hours to run) is a reliable indicator that I needn't
worry about this in the future.  Right now it's been running for several
hours, and is at iteration 51700*65535 without finding any errors.  Does
this bug manifest itself as an error in 1/1000000 operations, or would a
chip which exhibited the problem be expected to fail rather quickly?

Running this (or any code which used 32-bit opcode prefixes) under XENIX 286
brought up an interesting issue; isn't it correct that register saving between
tasks would save only the 286 register images (i.e., none of the extended
registers)?  Trying to run two copies of 386bug caused an error after a
few iterations (but not immediately!--weird.)  I haven't looked at this
carefully enought to understand exactly what happened.
---
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu
dyer@spdcc.COM aka {ihnp4,harvard,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
To: 386users@UDEL.EDU
Subject: 386 bug--comments from Intel person
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 87 20:15:51 -0400
From: Steve Dyer <steinmetz!uunet!seismo!spdcc.com!dyer>

On Compuserve, I asked for opinions on how reliable the 386BUG test
program was, and I received a comment from a person at Intel.  He said
that no test could predict that a part would or would not fail, that
all chips being shipped for the past month have been screened (wonder
what test they used?), and that a screened 386 has its package marked with two
Greek sigmas.  He then said that there was a phone number to call if your
chip wasn't one of the screened ones-- 1-800-538-3373.  I'll open mine
up later this evening...
From: markb@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Mark Beyer)
Subject: Re: IOCALL Benchmark Results Summary and Source
Date: 22 Jun 87 20:31:52 GMT

In article <1594@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, stubbs@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jan Stubbs) writes:
> Send your results to me directly.

Jan,
My email couldn't get to you so I'm posting this instead.

Here's the results for our new machine:

Machine:	Convergent Server/PC
CPU:		20MHZ 80386
OS:		Unix System V.3

The times are:

real:	20.41
user:	1.21
sys:	19.0

Mark Beyer
From: dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer)
Subject: 32-bit memory benchmark results for Inboard 386/AT card
Date: 21 Jun 87 07:17:15 GMT

This is a reposting of benchmarks of the Intel Inboard 386/AT,
this time with new results on the speed of the board fully loaded
with 32-bit memory.  Earlier results simply reported results using
16-bit memory on the AT bus.  As you can see by the results below,
the difference is quite startling!  Earlier results indicated a
ratio of 1.7/1 in average CPU speed -- with the 32-bit memory expansion,
this has increased to better than 2.6/1 compared with a stock 8mhz AT.
At least from the Dhrystone benchmarks reported below, we're beginning
to edge into Sun 3 territory...

---------------------------------------

All tests were run on the same hardware and software environment,
with the exception of the replacement of the 286 for the 386 card,
under SCO XENIX 286 OS v. 2.1.3 with Development System v. 2.1.4.
Note that this is a test of the execution speed of 286 16-bit instructions.
The Inboard used in this test has no memory of its own other than its cache.

		IBM PC/AT 8mhz		IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
					at 16mhz, cache enabled

					16-bit mem	32-bit mem

Drystone 1.0	no reg	reg		no reg	reg	no reg	reg
		1278	1292		2293	2304	3429	3405
Drystone 1.1	1084	1094		1957	1963	2906	2893

Buchholz (sum of user & sys times in sec)

short cpu	0.3			0.2		0.1
medium cpu	3.3			1.9		1.2
long cpu	***			*** (values out of range)
short I/O	0.9			0.6		0.4
I/O bound	3.1			1.9		1.4
long mixed	56.9			33.8		21.8
From: m5@bobkat.UUCP (Mike McNally )
Date: 24 Jun 87 14:05:42 GMT

In article <122@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
 >               IBM PC/AT 8mhz          IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
 >                                       at 16mhz, cache enabled
 >
 >                                       16-bit mem      32-bit mem
 >
 >Drystone 1.0   no reg  reg             no reg  reg     no reg  reg
 >               1278    1292            2293    2304    3429    3405
 >Drystone 1.1   1084    1094            1957    1963    2906    2893

Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?

===
Mike McNally, mercifully employed at Digital Lynx ---
    Where Plano Road the Mighty Flood of Forest Lane doth meet,
    And Garland fair, whose perfumed air flows soft about my feet...
uucp: {texsun,killer,infotel}!pollux!bobkat!m5 (214) 238-7474
From: dyer@athena.mit.edu (Steve Dyer)
Date: 29 Jun 87 21:37:04 GMT

>Why is the with-register-variables time for the 32-bit version *slower*
>than the without-register-variables time?  Isn't that sort-of strange?

Sure is, but that's what I got.  I'm not sure why; perhaps it has to
do with alignment of the variables (note that the results came from
the SAME objects--the only difference was whether the 286 program
was running in 16-bit memory or 32-bit memory).  I'll be posting
XENIX 386 results in a day or two; stay tuned...
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
dyer@spdcc.COM aka {harvard,wanginst,ima,ihnp4,bbn,halleys}!spdcc!dyer
To: 386users@UDEL.EDU
Subject: Desperately Seeking Swapping
File-Id: Munck.Office-AT.386.1859
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 10:55:08 EDT
From: Bob Munck <steinmetz!uunet!seismo!mitre-bedford.arpa!munck>

I am in need of a 386 BIOS that supports demand paging.  That is,
support for the Directory and Page Tables, an interrupt handler for the
page absent interrupt that reads in the needed page and restarts the
task, and support for writing out the "least-recently used" pages and
marking them as absent.

At minimum, I'd be happy with a BIOS that allows my code to set up and
activate the paging mechanism for user tasks.  It would need to allow my
code to handle the page absent interrupt and swapping out which would
use it to read and write pages.  I've written several paging systems for
other machines, notably the 360/67 - 370, but I don't want to get bogged
down writing disk I/O support.

My project is funded by the DoD's Ada Joint Program Office.  It is a
prototype of the standard OS (MIL-STD-1838a) intended to support an APSE
(Ada Programmer Support Environment).  Because MITRE is a federal R&D
facility, your BIOS can be kept under a non-disclosure or company
proprietary agreement; because the project is a prototype, the code I
write will be available with no strings to whoever helps me.  In other
words, you can help me at no risk of disclosure of your company secrets,
and you'll get back a working demand paging system.  It may even
eventually pass the security certification process.  Also, it's a neat
OS, combining principles from Smalltalk, Ada, and relational data bases;
it makes UNIX look very old and tired.

                             -- Bob Munck, MITRE Corporation

Munck@MITRE-Bedford.ARPA
...{ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,decvax}!linus!munck.UUCP
"The MITRE Corporation, MS A-156, Bedford, MA 01730".USPS
617/271-3671.BELL
To: 386users@UDEL.EDU
Subject: Submission for 386users
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 87 08:58:17 -0400
From: BBoards Support (agent: James M Galvin) <steinmetz!uunet!seismo!UDEL.EDU!bboards>

Bill, I have taken care of the addition.  Here is a submission.

Jim