[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help needed with LaserWriter

lee@aloha1.Hawaii.EDU (Calvin G.Y. Lee) (07/10/87)

Currently, an Apple LaserWriter is connected to an IBM PC.  Do you know
how to use Lotus 123 and dBaseIII+ with the LaserWriter (i.e. a postscript
driver)?  Also, do you know how to print Lotus 123 graphics files on the
LaserWriter?  The LaserWriter has a SPECIAL mode that allows it to emmulate a
Diablo 630 printer, but we would like to use the LaserWriter in the postscript
(9600 baud) mode.

Thank you,
Calvin G.Y. Lee

My e-mail adress is:
...sdcsvax!nosc!humu!uhmanoa!aloha1!lee
or
lee@aloha1.eng.hawaii.edu

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (07/14/87)

In article <235@aloha1.Hawaii.EDU> lee@aloha1.Hawaii.EDU (Calvin G.Y. Lee) writes:
<Currently, an Apple LaserWriter is connected to an IBM PC.  Do you know
<how to use Lotus 123 and dBaseIII+ with the LaserWriter (i.e. a postscript
<driver)?  Also, do you know how to print Lotus 123 graphics files on the
<LaserWriter?  The LaserWriter has a SPECIAL mode that allows it to emmulate a
<Diablo 630 printer, but we would like to use the LaserWriter in the postscript
<(9600 baud) mode.

I just looked at my version 2.01 install program and the Apple LaserWriter
is NOT supported.  I suspect that DBIII isn't either.

Postscript is a whole other world that works great with desk-top publishing.
Because PostScript is becoming the defacto laser printer language, 123 and
DBIII should do something in the future.  But, for now you are out-of-luck.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

doris@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Doris Brust) (07/16/87)

Hi,
I'm looking for a board to drop into a pc or compatible that will
open and close 10-16 circuits.  Does anyone know the name, address,
and phone number of a place where I can buy one of these?

Thanks,
     Jack

UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwmcsd4!jschafer
ARPA: jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) (07/16/87)

In article <235@aloha1.Hawaii.EDU>, lee@aloha1.Hawaii.EDU (Calvin G.Y. Lee) writes:
> Currently, an Apple LaserWriter is connected to an IBM PC.  Do you know
> how to use Lotus 123 and dBaseIII+ with the LaserWriter (i.e. a postscript
> driver)?  Also, do you know how to print Lotus 123 graphics files on the
> LaserWriter?  The LaserWriter has a SPECIAL mode that allows it to emmulate a
> Diablo 630 printer, but we would like to use the LaserWriter in the postscript
> (9600 baud) mode. -  Calvin G.Y. Lee

I spoke with Lotus Corp. about this a while ago - they have no *immediate*
plans to support postscript for 1-2-3.  What we do here is 1) store the 1-2-3
output in a file,  2) convert the file into postscript format using a program
called "text2ps" (text to postscript) and 3) print the converted file on our
(networked) Apple Laserwriter.

I have also been looking for a program to print the graphics but have been
unable to find one.  Pizazz, the shft-prtsc program that supports a wide
variety of printers, does not support postscript.  Makers of Pizazz say that
they have plans to support postscript but it is on a low priority.

If my computers (on order) come in, I may write such a beast (not a printgraph
or 1-2-3 driver but a graphics screen dump program for postscript).

I think the real problem is that people (including software vendors) have
not realized the benefits of postscript yet.  This may change as more and more
laser printers start using postscript and their prices come down.  Users of
such machines should try and get them networked so that there will be more
users who want postscript support.

Venu P. Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611