[comp.sys.ibm.pc] screen capture in Windows and GEM

mlwh@sphinx.UUCP (07/07/87)

How do you capture a screen (to a file) in MS Windows and GEM?

I would specifically like to know for PageMaker and Ventura
Publisher....

----Martin L. W. Hall---- Sun Microsystems
HASA member in good standing
{allegra | hplabs}!sun!mlwh@sphinx or mlwh@sun.COM

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (07/12/87)

In article <22802@sun.uucp>, mlwh%sphinx@Sun.COM (Martin Hall) writes:
> How do you capture a screen (to a file) in MS Windows and GEM?
>
> I would specifically like to know for PageMaker and Ventura
> Publisher....

In Ventura, depending on the output deivce, you can select a file for output.
But (great) p.d. programs like LPTX will capture LPTx port outputs into a file.
I have tried it with having a Postscript "device" on LPT2 and use the LPTX
program to capture the output; also have used Ventura to send the PS output
to a file. (Now my only problem is to print the darn PS file on an Apple
LaserWriter-- just send an inquirey to comp.text.desktop!).

Not sure about GEM... but do expect you can use LPTX.

... Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

rjg@ruby.TEK.COM (Rich Greco) (07/16/87)

There is a desk accessory called SNAPSHOT which ships with GEM PAINT that
allows you to interactively select part or all of the screen.  This area is
then copied to a standard GEM IMG file.  IMG files are supported as input by
both Ventura and DRI's new Desktop Publishing package.

GEM Paint is part of the GEM Collection which I have seen lately marked down
at several Mail order Houses.  By the way, the Paint program can edit IMG
files allowing you touch up the images if you desire.

Disclaimer:  I used to be associated with DRI but will gain nothing by your
purchasing this product.