[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C and global filename expansion.

fil@me.UUCP (07/10/87)

munch,
munch,
munch.

	It seems Turbo C does not expand wildcards in argv automatically.
	My IBM C compiler, however, can do this if you link the right file
into the rest of your program.
	I've spent many an hour trying to find some hint on how this would
be done in Turbo C and come up with only a headache and bags under my
eyes the next morning.
	Anyone out there run into a similar problem? Better yet, does anyone
out there know how to get it done?

	Anticipating responses with a worm on my tongue (baited breath),

	Fil Salustri

chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (07/16/87)

In article <6642.1987Jul10.09:26:49@me.uucp>, fil@me.UUCP writes:
> 	It seems Turbo C does not expand wildcards in argv automatically.
> 	Anyone out there run into a similar problem? Better yet, does anyone
> out there know how to get it done?
>
> 	Anticipating responses with a worm on my tongue (baited breath).

I'll answer at a respectful distance.  :-)

TC includes the source for the C0 module -- the code that sets up the
run-time environment, including environ, argv, etc.  It calls a routine
called "_setargv@", which means that the actual symbol in assembler is
"__setargv".  (I know, C0 _is_ assembler, but Borland uses a neat scheme that
makes the C0 code work even if you decide to compile with Pascal-style names
that have no leading underscore.  Check out the "RULES.ASI" file.)

I don't know what __setargv does, but when you find out, you can "roll your
own" __setargv and make it do wildcard expansion in addition to the setup that
the Borland-supplied routine does.

You can even put it into the standard C library, though I wouldn't.  [I'm the
cautious type, just ask my skydiving instructor. :-) ]

--
Chip Salzenberg		   UUCP: "uunet!ateng!chip" ..or.. "chips@usfvax2.UUCP"
A.T. Engineering, Tampa    Fidonet: 137/42    CIS: 73717,366

john@tifsie.UUCP (John Maline) (07/17/87)

in article <6642.1987Jul10.09:26:49@me.uucp>, fil@me.UUCP says:
> 	It seems Turbo C does not expand wildcards in argv automatically.
I've written a modified startup file for Turbo C that mimics Microsoft's
xSETARGV.OBJ.  It's posted to BIX, BYTE magazine's info service (I
can't remember where I put it in BIX's listings.  I mentioned in a
comment in borland/turboc).

I'd be glad to mail to anyone.  Send me mail.  If enough response, I'll
try to figure out how to post it.
--
John Maline                    UUCP:    ut-sally!im4u!ti-csl!tifsie!john
Texas Instruments                          sun!texsun!ti-csl!tifsie!john