[comp.sys.ibm.pc] dBASE files in C

hundt@wind.bellcore.com (tom hundt) (07/15/87)

Looking for source code to C routines to access dBASE files.
Or, dBASE file structure info (or pointers thereto).

Will post positive results.

Thanks!

INTERNET  hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP {seismo,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax;ulysses,allegra,clyde,princeton}!bellcore!hundt

dave@mtuxo.UUCP (Dave Lindsay) (07/16/87)

In article <1473@bellcore.bellcore.com>, hundt@wind.bellcore.com (tom hundt) writes:
> Looking for source code to C routines to access dBASE files.
> Or, dBASE file structure info (or pointers thereto).

You might be interested in the dbc library from Lattice that allows C programs
to directly access dBase files.
Also, Ashton-Tate provides a detailed description of their file formats
in their documentation as well as being added in many texts about dBase.

   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------                   Dave Lindsay
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------                   mtuxo!dave
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------             Lincroft, NJ 07738

jsm@vax1.UUCP (Jon Meltzer) (07/17/87)

In article <232@mtuxo.UUCP> dave@mtuxo.UUCP (Dave Lindsay) writes:
>In article <1473@bellcore.bellcore.com>, hundt@wind.bellcore.com (tom hundt) writes:
>> Looking for source code to C routines to access dBASE files.
>> Or, dBASE file structure info (or pointers thereto).
>
>You might be interested in the dbc library from Lattice that allows C programs
>to directly access dBase files.

I'm also looking for a dBase compatible file manager. dbC looks interesting,
but, before spending several hundred bucks on it, I'd like some idea of the
package's quality - dBase commands supported, quick and efficient code,
et cetera. Can anyone help?