[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Uniform for MS-Dos

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (07/10/87)

   A very long time ago, there was a program called Uniform for CP/M,
a program which could handle multiple disk formats (Apple II, Morrow,
Osborne, Kaypro, etc.).  It was bundled with the Kaypro II.

   As far as I can remember, this program was eventually ported to
MS-Dos.  And now, It Is Needed.  Unfortunately, I don't know if it
even exists anymore.

   So, my questions are:
      Does anyone know if this program really was ported to MS-Dos?
      Is it still being published?
      If so, by whom?
      And, of course, who can I get it from, whether or not it's still
        being published?

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

mlinar@poisson.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (07/11/87)

In article <5016@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:

>   A very long time ago, there was a program called Uniform for CP/M,
>a program which could handle multiple disk formats (Apple II, Morrow,
>
>   So, my questions are:
>      Does anyone know if this program really was ported to MS-Dos?
>      Is it still being published?
>      If so, by whom?
>      And, of course, who can I get it from, whether or not it's still
>        being published?
>
>--
>Jared J. Brennan

I tried to mail to you, but that did not work.  UNIFORM is available for
IBM, still sold, supported, etc.

I got mine from Emerald Microware at (503) 641-0347.  Cost was $50 or $60
I think... (I got mine with a V20 and UNIDOS - CP/M emulator - for about
$90, I guess.)

I know Emerald and UNIFORM are still in business and doing well, so this
should do it.

-Mitch

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (07/13/87)

In article <3300@oberon.USC.EDU> mlinar@poisson.usc.edu.UUCP (Mitch Mlinar) writes:
>UNIFORM is available for IBM, still sold, supported, etc.
>I got mine from Emerald Microware at (503) 641-0347.  Cost was $50 or $60
>I think... (I got mine with a V20 and UNIDOS - CP/M emulator - for about
>$90, I guess.)
>-Mitch

   Thanks for the information.  Had I had my library of magazines I could
probably have found at least the company's address, but I don't, so . . .

   I've also found a program called File Genie, for whatever it's worth.
The company places ads in the color section in the back of PC-World.  Seems
to be more or less the same as Uniform, but Uniform has a better reputation
(I mean, if Jerry Pournelle likes it, it must be good . . .)

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX
ARPA: ins_bjjb%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_bjjb
(If Email fails (as it no doubt will), send via USnail . . .
   Box 193 Gilman Hall
   Johns Hopkins Univ.
   Baltimore, MD  21218   )

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (07/17/87)

Note that Uniform is a file transfer program CP/M <--> MS-DOS
and File Genie is a file conversion program. They are quite
different things. File Genie is a programmable file conversion
system that lets you convert files in one format to another e.g.
a data base from some obsure program to say DBase.

File Genie can not read alien disks made on non PC/MS-DOS disks.
Uniform can, and thats all it does. It lets you copy files to and
from CP/M disks on your PC. It does not convert or modify them in
any way apart from that.  By the way, there are other programs that
do the same thing, Xenocopy for CP/M <--> MS-DOS, PC Cross-Zap for
TRS-80 <--> MS-DOS, Matchpoint PC for Apple <--> PC etc., etc.

Mike Gingell   ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg