[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Busted Harddisk

rps@homxc.UUCP (07/08/87)

In article <613@homxc.UUCP>, rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

> HELP!! HELP!!
>
> Well, it finally happened, 4 days out of warrenty, my Seagate ST-225 gives
> up the ghost.  It didn't crash, it just failed to start spinning.  It is
> getting power from the computer and the controller is working, the motor
> just doesn't turn.
> I believe that the reason the motor doesn't turn is because the
> electronics on the bottom of the 225 have fried, not because the motor
> or platters are bad.  My idea is to swap the circuit board on the bottom
> of the drive with the one on the bottom of another 225 I have.
>
> Russ Sharples
> homxc!rps

GOOD NEWS!  The act of removing the circuit board and reinstalling it
fixed the harddisk!  It must have been a loose or dirty connector on the
PCB, a loose wire on the connector block, or the motor was stuck in some
strange postion where it could not get started (doubtful).  Of course, I am
now worried about the thing dying again while writing out data or something,
I'll have to see.  I will back it up daily for a while.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

sheldon@quest.UUCP (Scott S. Bertilson) (07/09/87)

  I have had this problem repeatedly with 2 of 7 7300s I have used over
the last year and a half (with Miniscribe 20 Meg drives).  We try to
leave the machines on all the time to avoid this.  Failing that, I
have found (after the hassle of opening up the machine a couple of
times and pushing on the spindle to free it) that I can turn the
power on and give the machine a good whack perpendicular to the
axis of rotation of the disk...both machines are working well (I've
done it twice on 1 and once on the other).  The first time I figured
out what was wrong and pushed on the spindle, I found that it took
more than a light push to free it.  I worried that the drive
might be ruined, but this has been going on for more than 6 months
now with no catastrophes.
  The other machines seem to have no problems with this sort of thing.
				Scott S. Bertilson
				Minnesota Supercomputer Center Inc.
				(affiliated w/University of Minnesota)
--

Scott S. Bertilson   ...ihnp4!quest!sheldon or scott@uc.msc.umn.edu

toddg@hpldoma.HP.COM (@Todd Goin) (07/13/87)

I have had a similar problem with a Seagate drive and it DOES seem to be
that the motor stops in an odd position.  I have picked up the computer
box and shaken it side to side (on the advice of our in-house repair
shop) and lo-and-behold the drive works!!!!

Upon talking to the service dep't (here) the drive seems to stop
out-of-phase with the motor and will not be able to spin.

Shaking the box (POWER OFF OF COURSE !!  :-)) seems to jar the spindle
just enough that it will now begin turning.

MORAL:  I no longer turn off my system unless absolutley necessary!!

                Todd Goin
                @ Hewlett Packard Logic Design Operation

NOTE:  The above are my own views and not those of my employer!!

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (07/17/87)

> I have had a similar problem with a Seagate drive and it DOES seem to be
> that the motor stops in an odd position.  I have picked up the computer
> box and shaken it side to side (on the advice of our in-house repair
> shop) and lo-and-behold the drive works!!!!
>
> Upon talking to the service dep't (here) the drive seems to stop
> out-of-phase with the motor and will not be able to spin.
>
> Shaking the box (POWER OFF OF COURSE !!  :-)) seems to jar the spindle
> just enough that it will now begin turning.

It could also be the brake.  I had the same symptoms on my drive (nota
seagate) and when I took it apart I could see that the brake shoe (just
a little cork pad) was worn asymmetrically.  When the drive stopped there
was enough play that the brake would become skewed and sort of wedge the
motor in place.  I just took the solenoid out and trimmed the cork with
a razor blade so that the face was properly at right angles to the body
and everything worked fine after that.

john