[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Novice questions -Multitasking? And Borland.

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (07/10/87)

Hello,

I have two questions.  Could somebody please answer them or otherwise give
indications where I can find answer to them?

	1.  How do you make the computer shows animated object and at the
	    same time producing tones?  There are lots of example in games,
	    one of them being "3-D_demon."
	2.  What makes Borland's compilers so fast?  Do they have special
	    algorithm that nobody ever came up with before, and which they
	    have patented by now?  If not, how did they make it so fast?

Thank you in advance to all who plans to e-mail me.

sugih jamin
schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU

smith@ui3.UUCP (07/16/87)

<	1.  How do you make the computer shows animated object and at the
<	    same time producing tones?  There are lots of example in games,
<	    one of them being "3-D_demon."

   This involves intermixing the commands to the speaker with the graphics
   commands.  In addition you can start the speaker going with a tone,
   go away and do something else, and it will continue to sound until you
   shut it off.

<	2.  What makes Borland's compilers so fast?  Do they have special
<	    algorithm that nobody ever came up with before, and which they
<	    have patented by now?  If not, how did they make it so fast?

      Borland compilers (or at least Turbo Pascal) are fast for several
   reasons. The first is that no error recovery system is built into the
   compiler.  Note that when the compiler finds an error, it stops. It
   doesn't try to find out what happened and continue as say Microsoft
   Pascal does.
      The second thing Borland has is a one pass compiler.  This makes for
   quick compilation, but means that you can't link in pre compiled modules
   from other sources.  Note that when you start compiling large files using
   Turbo Pascal, the compile time is quite long.  Using a program like
   Microsoft Pascal which allows seperate compilation of modules will
   rival Turbo in compilation time because you don't compile the entire
   program each time.

      Turbo Pascal also only compiles to a com file which means less
   complicated code generation.  Therefore it's faster.

      And finally, Turbo Pascal compiles to memory.  If you want to watch
   Turbo slow down a lot try using a lot of include files.

                                     __
                                    |  |  Opinions expressed are not those
-----------------------------       |  |  of my employer. Sometimes they are
William Smith                       |  |  my own, but often they are
Microelectronics Research Center    \  |  spontaneous emissions of my
University of Idaho                 /   \ fingertips.
Moscow, ID  83843                   |    \
(208)885-7273                       |     \
                                    |      ---|
UUCP:  ucdavis!egg-id!ui3!smith     |         |
----------------------------        |         |
                                    |----------

hymie@dvm.UUCP (Hyman Rosen) (07/19/87)

In article <680004@ui3.UUCP> smith@ui3.UUCP writes:
><	2.  What makes Borland's compilers so fast?...
>
>	[...]
>      The second thing Borland has is a one pass compiler.  This makes for
>   quick compilation, but means that you can't link in pre compiled modules
>   from other sources....

	That information is out of date; it's true enough for Turbo Pascal,
but Turbo C and Turbo Prolog both compile to *.OBJ files, allow linkage to
modules from other languages/compilers, and come with their own linker which
is substantially faster than Microsoft's. And these compilers are equal in
compilation speed to Turbo Pascal.

	I suspect that Borland simply(?) locates developers with good, if not
widely known, products and polishes them up a bit.
--

								- Hymie

		...{decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!allegra!phri!orville!dvm!hymie