[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PS/2 Suggestions

davek@hp-lsd.HP.COM (@Dave Kumpf) (07/17/87)

Although I'm not an expert, here are my perceptions, based on what I've read
about PS/2 in PC mag, PC Week, etc. etc.........

 -- Even though Model 50 is much cheaper than Model 60, I'd go with the 60,
esp.  for intensive database stuff.  Model 50 has a *dog* for a disc (80 ms
access time).  Model 60 has a reasonably fast 40 mbyte disc; if you go to the
70 mbyte version or above, you also get ESDI, which is supposed to be even
faster.

 -- For database stuff, you might look into Oracle.  They have recently
released for PC hosts; they run on many different hosts now from minis to
mainframes. Their toll free info # is 1-800-345-DBMS.  They also have ads
in some recent issues of the magazines I've listed above.
It appears as if their system may offer solutions to your multi-user issues.

 -- networking -- get some form of TCP/IP package such as Fusion and use it
with an Ethernet card such as 3com.

Hope this helps.

Dave Kumpf -- hp-lsd!davek

"The opinions expressed herein are mine and are not necessarily shared by
my employer"

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (07/20/87)

In article <8020002@hp-lsd.HP.COM>, davek@hp-lsd.HP.COM (@Dave Kumpf) writes:
> Although I'm not an expert, here are my perceptions, based on what I've read
> about PS/2 in PC mag, PC Week, etc. etc.........
>
>  -- Even though Model 50 is much cheaper than Model 60, I'd go with the 60,
> esp.  for intensive database stuff.  Model 50 has a *dog* for a disc (80 ms
>
>  -- For database stuff, you might look into Oracle.  They have recently

  -----For database stuff, if I were to look at a dbms in the Oracle "class",
       I would concentrate on Informix or Ingres.  Oracle has a *dog* for a
        pc version of its dbms, performance-wise.

     - Interpolating the Palmer benchmarks, my guess is that

       Model 50 + Ingres or Informix  = (apx)  Model 60 with Oracle

    (I'm not an expert either)