[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can I use 768k on motherboard?

wilhite@usceast.UUCP (Robert Wilhite) (07/08/87)

I have a Leading Edge "D" with extra memory in it.  (I bought it with
512K, and added one bank of 256Kb chips to the motherboard.  So it has
768K of memory.)

Is there any way to make use of the extra memory?  DOS, of course,
reports only 640K, but I figger a customized RAMdisk could use the
extra stuff.

Has anyone else done this?
--
---------------------
Robert Wilhite

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (07/12/87)

In article <2413@usceast.UUCP> wilhite@usceast.UUCP.UUCP (Robert Wilhite) writes:
>I have a Leading Edge "D" with extra memory in it.  (I bought it with
>512K, and added one bank of 256Kb chips to the motherboard.  So it has
>768K of memory.)
>
>Is there any way to make use of the extra memory?  DOS, of course,
>reports only 640K, but I figger a customized RAMdisk could use the
>extra stuff.

Well, I hate to pop your thought bubble, but the 128K above the 640K in
the LE "D" is not wired into the memory space of the system.  If it were,
it would interfere with any CGA cards you may have plugged into it.

I had the same idea when I first got my LE "D" and saw a letter in BYTE
magazine that was erroneous (maybe just misleading), but many phone calls
to the LE people got me straitened out.

Sigh...

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (07/16/87)

In article <2413@usceast.UUCP> wilhite@usceast.UUCP.UUCP (Robert Wilhite) writes:
>I have a Leading Edge "D" with extra memory in it.  (I bought it with
>512K, and added one bank of 256Kb chips to the motherboard.  So it has
>768K of memory.)
>
>Is there any way to make use of the extra memory?  DOS, of course,
>reports only 640K, but I figger a customized RAMdisk could use the
>extra stuff.
>
>Has anyone else done this?
>--
>---------------------
>Robert Wilhite
>{ncrcae,akgua}!usceast!wilhite

I don't know if the Leading Edge can do it, but all of the Kaypro PC's are
shipped with 768KB and RAMdisk software to access the top 128KB.  I have also
done the same thing with my Zenith by using a new PAL chip that I bought
from KEA Systems (order info on request) for around $50.  I now very happily
set up a 128KB RAMdisk on my Zenith using the Kaypro software and still have
640KB for other things.

In regards to incompatibilities, We can use this memory on a Kaypro with
everything from a standard mono card to an ATI EGA Wonder with no problems.
I did run into my first problem with it tonight, however, when I was installing
a 2MB Zucker LIM expanded memory board in the Kaypro.  It would fail with a
message about not being able to get at the RAM from C000:0000 to E000:FFFF.
Switching one of the DIPs on the Kaypro multiprocessor to tell it that there
was only 640KB solved that problem (so I guess that we only got 1920KB instead
of 2048KB).

This doesn't relate to the LED, but maybe it can give you some hope: it is
possible on at least some machines.

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (07/20/87)

In article <2073@sphinx.uchicago.edu> pre1@sphinx.UUCP (Grant Prellwitz) writes:
>Switching one of the DIPs on the Kaypro multiprocessor to tell it that there
                                              ^^^^^^^^^<-- that's FUNCTION board
>was only 640KB solved that problem (so I guess that we only got 1920KB instead
>of 2048KB).

Sorry about that error, I just noticed it now.

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP
76474,2121 (CIS)                                    pre1 (BIX)
The DOCTOR didn't need a funny line, why do I?

hundt@wind.bellcore.com (tom hundt) (07/20/87)

There's a public domain (I think) program called 704K.COM (or similar)
that supposedly lets you use up to 704k of memory for programs
(ie. breaks the 640k barrier).  I never tried it, as I couldn't figure
out how to install the extra 64k in my system (and now, it probably
would conflict with my EGA et al) -- I think it involves modifying
a memory board or something.  Anyway, anybody want a copy?

Thomas M. Hundt / BELLCORE, Morristown NJ / INTERNET hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP {seismo|ihnp4|ucbvax|decvax|ulysses|allegra|clyde|princeton}!bellcore!hundt