[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PKARC/ARC/DWC/ZOO archivers

bisanabi@vrdxhq.UUCP (Paul Paloski) (07/22/87)

In article <206900064@mirror>, jvc@mirror.UUCP writes:

> ...     So,
> changing extentions won't be a long term solution and in fact will
> probably cause more confusion.
>
> Maybe a solution would be to add a string to the archive that
> would indicate which program and what version created the archive.
> If each unarchiver would print this string if it discovered that
> it was unable to unarchive one or more files, then it would help
> the user to figure out what was wrong.
>
> jvc@mirror.tmc.com

This is one of my points which will be brought up with the authors of
each of the archiving utilities soon.  ZOO does contain such a string.
I just archived a file using ZOO 1.50, which created TEST.ZOO file.
If you TYPE or MORE the file, the following is displayed:
    C> TYPE TEST.ZOO
    ZOO 1.50 Archive.

This is even more useful for the novice who tries to list an archive when
he has no idea what it is.  It is also good for the regular user who gets
an error unarchiving.  It can be compared to the version of the currently
running archive, and be updated if necessary.

--

:-- Paul
: