[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft C 5.0 Upgrade

gof@crash.UUCP (07/07/87)

I received my upgrade form (and knowing Microsoft's upgrade policies)
decided to call.

     Yes, the upgrade will be issued on a first come, first serve basis.
     The upgrade will most likely not ship until September.
     Your check/credit card etc will be cashed/charged RIGHT AWAY.

For my moneys worth, I think I'll wait until mid August to send my check.
Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!

--
--Jerry Fountain--
  UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}!crash!gof      ARPA: crash!gof@nosc.mil

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (07/08/87)

In <1347@crash.CTS.COM> gof@crash.CTS.COM (Jerry Fountain) writes:
>I received my upgrade form (and knowing Microsoft's upgrade policies)
>decided to call.
>
>     Yes, the upgrade will be issued on a first come, first serve basis.
>     The upgrade will most likely not ship until September.
>     Your check/credit card etc will be cashed/charged RIGHT AWAY.

My upgrade form said that checks will be cashed upon receipt, but that
credit cards would be charged upon actual product shipment.

>Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!

Let's hope they are reasonable about sending patches and/or fixed
binaries to folks who aren't on Dial, the Source or CompuServe!  Bugs
are inevitable.  I worry about getting the fixes.

As far as I am concerned, the $75 will be worth it just to get a
faster LINK.  If only it could do nested overlays like PLINK.
Unfortunately, PLINK is even slower...

--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman						    mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <1347@crash.CTS.COM> gof@crash.CTS.COM (Jerry Fountain) writes:

>For my moneys worth, I think I'll wait until mid August to send my check.
>Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!

Don't count on it!!!  (And I'd be surprised if Microsoft is as Quick to
admit to their bugs and issue patches for them as Borland has been!)

null@bsu-cs.UUCP (07/13/87)

In article <3611@watdcsu.UUCP>, broehl@watdcsu.UUCP writes:
> In article <1347@crash.CTS.COM> gof@crash.CTS.COM (Jerry Fountain) writes:
> >
> >For my moneys worth, I think I'll wait until mid August to send my check.
> >Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!
> >

> Don't count on it!!!  (And I'd be surprised if Microsoft is as Quick to
> admit to their bugs and issue patches for them as Borland has been!)

Yeah!!!!  Enough of this B.S. about Alllllllll (I only know of three
'verified' bugs - and all have been fixed) of the bugs in TC and how
a commercial product shouldn't have bugs...   As he said - AT LEAST
THEY FIXED THEM!!!  No waiting for version 1.1...

--
----
Patrick Bennett     UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!null

apn@nonvon.UUCP (root) (07/15/87)

in article <3611@watdcsu.UUCP>, broehl@watdcsu.UUCP says:
>>For my moneys worth, I think I'll wait until mid August to send my check.
>>Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!
> Don't count on it!!!  (And I'd be surprised if Microsoft is as Quick to
> admit to their bugs and issue patches for them as Borland has been!)

	MSC 3.0 has less bugs than the current version of TC!!!

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,seismo,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (07/16/87)

> In comp.sys.ibm.pc, null@bsu-cs.UUCP (Patrick Bennett) writes:
>
> In article <3611@watdcsu.UUCP>, broehl@watdcsu.UUCP writes:
> > In article <1347@crash.CTS.COM> gof@crash.CTS.COM (Jerry Fountain) writes:
> > >
> > >For my moneys worth, I think I'll wait until mid August to send my check.
> > >Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!
> > >

> > Don't count on it!!!  (And I'd be surprised if Microsoft is as Quick to
> > admit to their bugs and issue patches for them as Borland has been!)
>
> Yeah!!!!  Enough of this B.S. about Alllllllll (I only know of three
> 'verified' bugs - and all have been fixed) of the bugs in TC and how
> a commercial product shouldn't have bugs...   As he said - AT LEAST
> THEY FIXED THEM!!!  No waiting for version 1.1...
>

> --
> ----
> Patrick Bennett     UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!null
> ----------

     Borland is sending me some disks containing a Turbo C compiler update.
Those of you who haven't heard about this may want to call Borland and ask
about it (for some reason, they contacted me via Compuserve to arrange the
update, even though I mailed in the registration card).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer I: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

Disclaimer II: I have no connections with Borland, other than as a
satisfied customer.

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (07/17/87)

In article <614@nonvon.UUCP> apn@nonvon.UUCP (root) writes:
>>>Lets just hope there are less bugs in MSC 5.0 than TC 1.0!!!

>> Don't count on it!!!  (And I'd be surprised if Microsoft is as Quick to
>> admit to their bugs and issue patches for them as Borland has been!)

>MSC 3.0 has less bugs than the current version of TC!!!

I'd love to see you prove it! MicroSoft is never willing to ADMIT that there
are bugs in their products! All you get to do is wait for a new release, pay
your $150, and see if the old bugs are there still.

I attempted to move a major graphics package from Unix to the PC using
MSC 3.0. I came up with TWELVE bugs in the compiler, all in standard, portable
C code. Almost all involved floating point or structures. Some involved bad
code generation, some just blew the compiler out of the water. I could not
figure out a work-around for many of them.

MicroSoft would not listen unless I was willing to send them the entire
source code that had trouble-- a major and daunting task, since we aren't
allowed to release the source under the terms of the license with which we
obtained it. In ANY case, the only solutions suggested were to either find
a work-around or wait for the next release.

We gave up at that point. As it turns out, the code compiles nicely under
MSC 4.0... but it's rather sad that MicroSoft charges $150 per year as a
maintenance fee to obtain bug fixes in their compiler! (What- you hadn't
noticed that the compiler is upgraded once a year?!?) Make sure that you
include that in your cost estimate!

If Borland can shake up MicroSoft in a big way- I think that's great!
If Borland can provide us with a quality product, reasonable support (and
providing patches IS reasonable, especially since the users of a C compiler
are, presumably, programmers (**)), and if Borland can do all that for a
nice low price... then there really isn't much use for MS C at ALL!

(**) I admit that teachers of programming may have a problem. But fixing
the problem on one copy and duplicating it for everyone isn't THAT hard.
It is also a LOT easier than (1) Paying for N upgrades; (2) Not having any
fixes at all until the next release comes out; (3) Trying to find a work
around solution (and explaining to the students why they should do this
wierd thing now, but not in 'real life'); etc...

Enough flaming.... I got REAL upset back in MSC 3.0 days, and never had a
reason to yell on the net about it! This discussion gave me a reason :-(!

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (07/19/87)

In article <614@nonvon.UUCP> apn@nonvon.UUCP (root) writes:

>	MSC 3.0 has less bugs than the current version of TC

I've very skeptical of this comment.

In any case, the comparison is unfair; you should be comparing MSC 4.0,
since it's the current release.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/22/87)

As quoted from <614@nonvon.UUCP> by apn@nonvon.UUCP (root):
+---------------
| 	MSC 3.0 has less bugs than the current version of TC!!!
+---------------

Sure, but compare the number of bugs in Turbo C 1.0 to the number in MS
MASM 1.0.  (Comparing bugs to bugs, not MASM to C.)  Since I have the
misfortune of owning MASM 1.25, don't try to tell me about how well debugged
Microsoft stuff is.
--
	  [Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved]
 [Redistribution permitted only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.]

apn@nonvon.UUCP (Alex P Novickis) (07/27/87)

In article <3280@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <614@nonvon.UUCP> by apn@nonvon.UUCP (root):
>+---------------
>| 	MSC 3.0 has less bugs than the current version of TC!!!
>+---------------
>Sure, but compare the number of bugs in Turbo C 1.0 to the number in MS
>MASM 1.0.  (Comparing bugs to bugs, not MASM to C.)  Since I have the
>misfortune of owning MASM 1.25, don't try to tell me about how well debugged
>Microsoft stuff is.

	That is irrelavent.  MASM 4.0 is out now. There is only ONE other
assembler out there that has anywhere near the features and functionality:
pasm... but it is not cheaper than masm. ( I own a copy of both ) Although,
the debugger available ( for additional $400 ) is MUCH better than the
microsoft symdeb and codeview ( as used for asm debugging )

	The real question is in comparison of who has what to offer at
*present* ... and not who *had* what.

	Throw away your old MASM 1.25 , uSoft usually will update it for a
reasonable fee.

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn