[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ibm AT Serial port

grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (07/20/87)

I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.x.
I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither of these
work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?

Greg Rogers
Department of Computer Science

	UUCP:	{pur-ee,convex,inhp4}!uiucdcs!grogers
	ARPA:	grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu
	CSNET:	grogers%uiuc@csnet-relay

ayac071@ut-ngp.UUCP (07/21/87)

In article <8000015@uiucdcsm> grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.
>I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither
>work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
>rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
>an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?

Many terminal emulation packages that I know of can drive the AT's (and PC's)
serial port at 9600bps.  I am currently connected to a VAX at 9600 using a
shareware program called ProComm.  I have also run AT's before at 19,200 bps
with ProComm, and suspect that they could go higher (19,200 bps is the upper
limit for this program.)

Many such programs exist, at low cost (ex. ProComm, Gmodem, GT-PowerComm.)
Check out your local BBS systems for a copy.

Hope this helps.
Bill Douglass
ayac071@ngp  (or something like that)

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (07/22/87)

In article <8000015@uiucdcsm> grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.x.
>I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither of these
>work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
>rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
>an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?
>

>Greg Rogers
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>Department of Computer Science
>
>	UUCP:	{pur-ee,convex,inhp4}!uiucdcs!grogers
>	ARPA:	grogers@m.cs.uiuc.edu
>	CSNET:	grogers%uiuc@csnet-relay

Greg:
I don't have an explanation (is there really an explanation for anything that
happens in this world?  I know there isn't one for this reply :-), but, if I
read your posting correctly, you need an IBM 3101 terminal emulator that will
work at speeds >= 9600bps.  You might look at ProComm, a shareware telecom-
munications program ($25) that emulates (among other things) the IBM 3101 and
will operate at speeds up to 19.2Kbps (though I haven't tested this over
dialup phone lines :-).  I'm not sure if a full communications program is quite
what you're looking for, but I'll take any chance I can get to plug Procomm.
It's a GREAT program and well worth the $25 I spent to register.

	Grant

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

tfra@ur-tut.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (07/22/87)

[Et tu, line-eater?]

Sorry for posting this, but the mail message that I sent out was returned
undelivered:

What version of Kermit were you using?  I've been able to drive an AT
serial port with Kermits 2.27-2.29 inclusive (and also with PROCOMM and
Softerm, for that matter).  If I was you, I would take my version of Kermit
to another AT and make sure it's not the software.

If you have a *real* ancient version of kermit (or if you cannot find someone
with an AT), please send me a message and I'll try to send you a copy of
my kermit disk.

--

  Tom Frauenhofer			...!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tfra
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) (07/22/87)

grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.
>I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither
>work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
>rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
>an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?

I'm using MS-Kermit v2.29b, and I've used Procomm v2.4.2, both on an IBM XT
running at 4.77MHz, at 9600 bps.  They both run fine.  They also both work
on my 8MHz Zenith at home (at 1200 bps, sigh).

Maybe it's the fault of the off-brand hardware?  :-) :-)

S9A@PSUVM.BITNET (07/23/87)

Try yterm 1.4 from yale computer center, yale university.

chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (chris) (07/23/87)

> grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.
> >I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither
> >work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
> >rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
> >an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?

WE used to have a problem with our AT until we tracked it down to the
Professional Graphics Adapter (or maybe the driver for it).  With a CGA
as our default monitor asynch operation works fine but with the PGA we
have the same symtoms as above...

--
Internet: chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu	Chris Peck
CSnet: chris@suny-bing				SUNY Binghamton

grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (07/23/87)

I've had lots of mail about this; many thanks to everyone. So far the only lead
is that I'm using Kermit 2.27 and others are up to 2.29. Maybe that will fix
things, so where can I ftp a copy of Kermit 2.29 from?

ccs016@ucdavis.UUCP (Patrick Tully) (07/27/87)

> grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >I'm looking for a terminal emulation program for use on an IBM AT under Dos 3.
> >I've tried Kermit and an old version of IBM's 3101 emulator but neither
> >work above 1200 baud.  I know that the AT's serial port can handle higher baud
> >rates because when I run Xenix I can use cu at 9600 baud.   Does anyone have
> >an explanation for this behavior?   How about a solution?
>
> I'm using MS-Kermit v2.29b, and I've used Procomm v2.4.2, both on an IBM XT
> running at 4.77MHz, at 9600 bps.  They both run fine.  They also both work
> on my 8MHz Zenith at home (at 1200 bps, sigh).

  I use Procomm often at 8MHZ and 2400 baud. I've also used it at 19,200 for
data transfer and it has worked fine. It has many differant terminal emulators,
and many other nice features. In my opinion it's the best for its price.

  Any good IBM/clone BBS should have a copy for download.

Patrick Tully
pstully@ucdavis