[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RBBS-PC 15.1B

ee161aaj@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Wayne Vieira) (07/25/87)

I have been trying to start up a BBS using RBBS-PC.  The
the documentation that comes with it seems incomplete, though.
Most of my problems have been with setting up File transfer and
Doors options. apparently there are quite a few maintenence
files used with it, but I am pretty clueless as to what to
call them, how to set the config programme for them, and what to
put in them. I also need reccomendations on who to set up my
directories so to achieve less clutter.(I know general directory
philosophies, but am not sure what the BBS will be looking for and
where.) feel free to check out what I have so far (619)-744-5488

Can Anyone help me out here???

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (07/27/87)

In article <744@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU>, ee161aaj@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Wayne Vieira) writes:
> I have been trying to start up a BBS using RBBS-PC.  The
> the documentation that comes with it seems incomplete, though.
> Most of my problems have been with setting up File transfer and
> Doors options. apparently there are quite a few maintenence
> files used with it, but I am pretty clueless as to what to
> call them, how to set the config programme for them, and what to
> put in them. I also need reccomendations on who to set up my
> directories so to achieve less clutter.(I know general directory
> philosophies, but am not sure what the BBS will be looking for and
> where.) feel free to check out what I have so far (619)-744-5488
>
> Can Anyone help me out here???

RBBS is a dinosaur left over from an age when BBS programs were a rarity. I
strongly suggest, having run a BBS myself, using either WWIV or Genesis. WWIV
has the source code available to all users, and is shareware. Genesis, while thesource code isn't available, is on the verge of having a mail file network
established that can accept both Fido (Barf!) packets and ARPAnet mail!

You can get more info on WWIV by calling the creator, Wayne Bell, at
213-208-6689, 300-1200bd. His code is extremely malleable, and is worth the
meager 25 bucks to register (or you can simply...pirate it? How do you pirate
shareware?). As for Genesis, I've misplaced that info aat this time...

again, drop RBBS. Or is that just BS?

                                         Omega.Mosley@UTA3081

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (07/28/87)

In article <5704@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley) writes:
<
<RBBS is a dinosaur left over from an age when BBS programs were a rarity.

Sorry, but I disagree.  RBBS as come a long way since the early days.
With the advent of the latest Microsoft QuickBASIC compiler, the code has
been updated to take advantage of the available structuring.

The source code is available everywhere, without any cost.  If you wish to
contribute, the $8 goes to the Capital PC Users Group.  Otherwise, the only
cost would be the $59-$69 for buying a compiler.

Don't give up on RBBS-PC.  I use it a really like it.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\		BITNET: brown%nicmad.UUCP@spool.wisc.edu
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

glazer@osupyr.UUCP (Jon Glazer) (07/28/87)

In article <5704@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
In article <744@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU>, ee161aaj@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Wayne Vieira) writes:
> I have been trying to start up a BBS using RBBS-PC.  The
> the documentation that comes with it seems incomplete, though.
> Most of my problems have been with setting up File transfer and
> Doors options. apparently there are quite a few maintenence
> files used with it, but I am pretty clueless as to what to
> call them, how to set the config programme for them, and what to
> put in them. I also need reccomendations on who to set up my
> directories so to achieve less clutter.(I know general directory
> philosophies, but am not sure what the BBS will be looking for and
> where.) feel free to check out what I have so far (619)-744-5488
>
> Can Anyone help me out here???

I am a sysop of an RBBS-PC 15.1b (phone below).  I like the system but you
are correct that the manual is a little misleading and confusing and
incomplete.  I have been figuring it out for a couple months now AND I think
I have pretty much got it down.  If you need help in any area, send me mail
or call the BBS yourself.

Jon
*                        *                        * At                        *
*       Jon Glazer       * The |\/|     |  |      *     Ohio State University *
* Sysop of MGS (IBM BBS) *     |  |     |  |      *        Columbus, Ohio     *
*     (614)-848-5971     *     |  |ICRO |/\|IZARD *         Via PYRAMID       *
*                        *                        *     [glazer@osupyr.UUCP]  *
*                        *                        *    [glazer%osupyr@cposgd] *

ee161aaj@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Wayne Vieira) (07/29/87)

My biggest problem is using the questionaire features.
I can quite figure out what to call the files, how to
save results, and where to save them. Once RBBS is figured
out, it seems MUCH more powerful than most of the BBS' I have
seen around San Diego (but then, most BBS' around here aren't
IBM's; they're C-64s.
wayne vieira ----> vieiraw@sds-sdsc.arpa
		   vieira@a-sdsc.arpa
		   ee161aaj@sdcc18.ucsd.edu

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (07/29/87)

...what's wrong with RBBS? There's just so much to CHOOSE from...

...first of all, it's written in the slowest compiled language this side of
ENIAC Binary code. It has been revised and rewritten by so many people that
regardless of what they claim, support for RBBS under anything other than PC
Basic is virtually impossible to acquire. Also, basic does not have all of
the data structure manipulators and port controls that Pascal or C contain.

...secondly, the DOORS, which is based on independent batch files, can be
easily broken by anyone who has a rudimentary understanding of the MS-DOS OS. It also causes random loss of global variable values when recalling the BBS
program, which results in more board crashes than anything.

...thirdly, the entire message & menu structure is totally vague and impossible
to follow without having set up the program to begin with. Most users, in all
honesty, don't learn about the 'J' function to access other message bases unti
they have been told about it by the sysop. Hell, some users NEVER learn about
it. And the reason for that is that all of the messages are stored as one big
long array, which makes it totally confusing when scanning or reading messages.
It's just as bad with the C-64 C-Net message bases. Clearly, the message
structuring is just flawed as hell, and that's why most users HATE to call
RBBS boards around our area (just ask John Knutson...)

...and another thing: being 'free' isn't a factor anymore. WWIV is free as well,and is better supported than RBBS is (one designer, easliy accessed!). In fact, If I can figure out how to UUCP the damn thing, I'll put it up here...

Once again, I state that RBBS is naught but BS, and should be disposed of as
such. If you want to try it, fine. You'll just be wasting your time....

				Omega.Mosley
				President,
				Klingon Students' Association

*-------*