[comp.sys.ibm.pc] : Compaq 386 crashes WHY???

michael@ddsw1.UUCP (Michael Duebner) (07/31/87)

In article <3133@zen.berkeley.edu>, davidg@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David Gaertner) writes:
> I have two Compaqs 286 which are the versions that have 3 speeds: 6 Mhz
> (common), 8 Mhz CPU with 6 Mhz I/O (fast), and 8 Mhz for both CPU and
> I/O (high speed).  When I set the first Compaq to high speed, it worked
> just fine.  The second one, though, just crashed after a couple of
> minutes, showing nothing but a cursor on the monitor (and the monitor
> looked as if it lost its vertical hold).  Rebooting had the same
> results over and over again.  Both systems are identically configured
> so I tried switching my JRAM memory boards, and the bad machine still
> acted badly.  I even went so far as to back up the bad machine's hard
> disk and restore it on another machine, but the software worked fine on
> the other machine.

While I am not sure what could be the problem with your 286 machines, I
would like to expand on the Compaq problem by adding information from our
386 to the article:

We are the resent proud (?) owners of a Compaq 386 to be used in conjunction
with our desktop publishing system.   CEMM is on and the available memory is
being used as a disk cache.  While the machine is not blazingly fast, it
does move along quite nicely given its task to complete.  What bothers me
are the mysterious crashes and/or "Monitor on, nobody home" states.  The
mouse goes away and the machine just sits there.  Sometimes it takes turning
the system off via the switch to brings things back under control.

Does anyone have experience with these problems?  Are there any correcting solutions available?

--

Michael Duebner				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!michael
           (Help is only a phone call away for members of AERA)