[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT Memory

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (07/30/87)

	Our group has an Ibm At with 512K of memory on the
motherboard, and 512K on an expansion board (running the diagnostics
confirms its all there). Can someone please tell me how to convince
the machine that it really has more than 512 K of memory (upto 640K? or
can the AT under dos 3.2 use more?) (CHKDSK shows only 512K,
and programs seem to also think that they have 512k). I tried to change
the config from within the diagnostics, but the machine did'nt like
that at all! In all the docs we got with the machine, nothing says how
to do this. If it matters, the display is EGA, and we are running dos 3.2.

PS: Any are there any PD ncsh like shells, with command line
editing, file name completion etc out there. I found a couple of CShell
like shells on a local BBS, but they were all pretty vanilla. Where are
all the thousands of great software titles we always hear about from
PC fans, or are they all commercial?
							thanks,
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@cwru.edu

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) (08/02/87)

In article <2199@cwruecmp.UUCP> bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:
>PS: Any are there any PD ncsh like shells, with command line
>editing, file name completion etc out there. I found a couple of CShell
>like shells on a local BBS, but they were all pretty vanilla. Where are
>all the thousands of great software titles we always hear about from
>PC fans, or are they all commercial?

I am building a shell called psh (for Pascal Shell since it's written
in Turbo Pascal).  It has (or will have) the following capabilities:

	* command history with both arrow key access and "!" access
	* command line editing functions.
	* full, unlimited depth aliasing (my favorite!)
	* redirection of all MS-DOS devices

Write for more info.

          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"