[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BASIC's Turbo vs Quick

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) (07/29/87)

I am thinking about writing a database and want a very customized product.
For various reasons I don't want to use a database manager program.  I
would prefer to write my own and I don't want to use C or Turbo.  Reasons
are good but long.  So BASIC seems to be the answer but it should be
compiled.  Between the two well know models Quick BASIC and TURBO BASIC
which would be the best?  Does one have better libraries than the other for
this sort of task?  Has anyone used one of these programs for this reason?
How did it work?

Thanks.

Jack

bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) (07/30/87)

In article <716@pbhyc.UUCP>, jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:

> I am thinking about writing a database and want a very customized product.
> For various reasons I don't want to use a database manager program.  I
> would prefer to write my own and I don't want to use C or Turbo.  Reasons
> are good but long.  So BASIC seems to be the answer but it should be
> compiled.  Between the two well know models Quick BASIC and TURBO BASIC
> which would be the best?  Does one have better libraries than the other for
> this sort of task?  Has anyone used one of these programs for this reason?
> How did it work?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jack

	I am a very staunch supporter of the TURBO products (Pascal
	and C) released by Borland, but in this case I would choose
	QuickBasic over the Borland offering.  I have used QB and it
	is a real pleasure.  It's execution times are the best, it
	completely supports BASICA (Turbo does not), and it includes
	a pretty snazzy debugging environment as well.  The new (3.0)
	version supposedly adds a great deal more to aid serious
	BASIC development.

	Turbo Basic is brand-new, while the Microsoft offering is
	now at 3.0 revision level.  Given the problems with Turbo C,
	(1.0) it seems to me that the 3.0 version of QB could be better
	than the Borland offering simply by virtue of having been
	around longer.

	I have not used Turbo Basic, but I would go with the opinion
	expressed by the majority of software reviews (that I have
	read) on these two products:  For now, QuickBasic is on top
	of the heap.

gardner@kodak.UUCP (dick gardner) (07/30/87)

In article <716@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:

>I am thinking about writing a database and want a very customized product.
>For various reasons I don't want to use a database manager program.  I
>would prefer to write my own and I don't want to use C or Turbo.  Reasons
>are good but long.  So BASIC seems to be the answer but it should be
>compiled.  Between the two well know models Quick BASIC and TURBO BASIC
>which would be the best?  Does one have better libraries than the other for
>this sort of task?  Has anyone used one of these programs for this reason?

This response doesn't directly answer your question, but I hope it may
be pertinent.  I have recently purchased QuickBasic, and really love it!
(I took a BASICA program about 1000+ lines and compiled it without one
single change and increased the execution speed tremendously!!)
There is one thing about QuickBasic that you might want to consider, tho --

------ from this point on, I'm depending on my memory ------------

The license agreement states that you may distribute the run-time package
freely, but, if you do, your application must contain an announcement that
the Microsoft QuickBasic compiler was used, and copyright notices (imbedded)
must remain intact.

----------- end of memory restriction (hopefully)  -------------

I have no information on Turbo Basic.

You can check the actual details on the package before you purchase.

Hope this is helpful, or at least, not too discouraging.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!gardner
   "Research is what I do when I don't know what I'm doing"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

bruce@dolqci.UUCP (Bruce Limber) (07/30/87)

>I am thinking about writing a database and want a very customized product.
> . . . Quick BASIC and TURBO BASIC:  which would be the best?  Does one
>have better libraries than the other . . ?

I can't answer that, but you may want to check inside the cover of the
August 87 BYTE:  Borland is advertising several Turbo Basic toolboxes,
one of which is for databases.

--
Bruce Limber (seismo!dolqci!bruce)     (202) 535-0640
The opinions I have expressed above are shared by my boss, my employer, the

mobo@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Samuel Wilson) (07/30/87)

In article <582@rlgvax.UUCP> bub@rlgvax.UUCP ( Mongo Mauler) writes:
>In article <716@pbhyc.UUCP>, jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>>
>> I am thinking about writing a database and want a very customized product.
>> So BASIC seems to be the answer . . .
>

>	I am a very staunch supporter of the TURBO products (Pascal
>	and C) released by Borland, but in this case I would choose
>	QuickBasic over the Borland offering.  I have used QB and it
>	version supposedly adds a great deal more to aid serious
>	BASIC development.
>
>	I have not used Turbo Basic, but I would go with the opinion
>	expressed by the majority of software reviews (that I have
>	read) on these two products:  For now, QuickBasic is on top
>	of the heap.

I have used both for database development and I think TB is preferable.
First, there is Borland's "Database Toolbox" which has big chunks of
the code already written;  second, it's cheaper; third, it seems to
be faster for writing, compiling, test runs, re-editing, etc. [n.b. I
haven't done benchmarks-- this is a subjective view acquired by using
both extensively], and finally, Turbo Basic doesn't collide with memory
resident programs.  I ran into real problems with Quickbasic on this
score.  I called MSoft and they said that QB probably wouldn't run "as
expected" (i.e. at all in my case) with memory resident programs (I
was using screensave and sidekick.

So there's my 2 cents.  My third cent is: when doing a comparative
review, try both.

Samuel Wilson         ..ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mobo
                            FOTMOBO@UCHMVS1.Bitnet
University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) (08/03/87)

True BASIC isn't BASICA compatible, but that seems like a good
idea (not being compatible) for new programs.  I don't know if
they have a database library, but it's worth a call.  And your
program will run on the IBM PC, Amiga, Atari, and Mac.  It
won't be Macish or Atariish, or ... though.

603 643-3882

Finally, yes, I know them, and have done some work for them.
--
     Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
(astrovax cornell decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel