[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UUSLAVE revisited

shapiro@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (brian shapiro) (07/22/87)

Does anyone out in netland have a working copy of UUSLAVE for the IBM PC and
compatibles? I saw a version once posted to the net that said it had been
hacked up to do so but can no longer find it.

The instructions for this would also be helpful.

thanks in advance.

Brian Shapiro, Ohio University Computing  and  Learning Services
Haning Hall, Athens, Ohio 45701   (614) 593-1608
BITNET: shapirob@ouaccvma
UUCP:   ihnp4!cbosgd!oucs!shapiro

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (07/25/87)

In article <629@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@pdp.cs.OHIOU.EDU (brian shapiro) writes:

>Does anyone out in netland have a working copy of UUSLAVE for the IBM PC and
>compatibles? I saw a version once posted to the net that said it had been
>hacked up to do so but can no longer find it.
>
>The instructions for this would also be helpful.

    At this point the most current version of uuslave for ms-dos
    is being handled by Garry Paxons <sp?>.  He is cleaning up
    some code and spliting it apart with the approp. make file.
    I would be guessing, but I imagine that we would be seeing
    the source in the next 30 or so days.

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

nomad@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (07/28/87)

 I would like a copy of UUSLAVE also.  Someday a FidoNet<->usenet gateway
might just evolve out of that...

 nomad@orstcs
-------------------------
LEE DAMON		FidoNet: 152/201 (The Castle) - (503) 757-8841
nomad@cs.orst.edu	CSnet:  nomad@cs.orst.edu
"Real soon now!"	UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

     "Say what you like, the bicycle has a great past ahead of it!"

root@hobbes.UUCP (08/01/87)

+---- nomad@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU writes the following

|  I would like a copy of UUSLAVE also.  Someday a FidoNet<->usenet gateway
| might just evolve out of that...
+----

It already has.  Garry Paxinos (paxinos@circle.UUCP) has rebuilt uuslave to
be a full uucico with Master and Slave modes, L.sys file support, dial out
support, and much more ...

Watch comp.sources.misc in the coming month for a completely new posting!

John Galvin (galvin@circle.UUCP) has written a complete set of utilities for
SEAdog, Opus, Fido, and TBBS BBS systems which allow full, bi-directional
email and Usenet news.  This software is now in Beta test (He has enuf beta
testers, thanks anyways) and more should be heard from him soonly.

The usenet news support includes compressed (-b12) batched news feeds,
followups, accounting features, and more.  circle.UUCP is a Fido system (121/0)
which has been getting a news feed from us (hobbes) for about 2 months now...

Tim Pozar (pozar@hoptoad) did quuite a bit of work on uuslave before Paxinos
took over; he deserves MUCHO LOTSO credit for his work too.  He also has an
interface to email and Usenet which he is working on.

--
John Plocher uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!plocher  plocher%uwspan.UUCP@uwvax.CS.WISC.EDU

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (08/01/87)

In article <216700020@orstcs> nomad@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU writes:

> I would like a copy of UUSLAVE also.  Someday a FidoNet<->usenet gateway
>might just evolve out of that...

    I hate to say this, but it already has....

--
        Tim Pozar
UUCP    pozar@hoptoad.UUCP

marc@mfbbs.UUCP (Marc Randolph) (08/03/87)

   Jerry Bain (FidoNet 170/220) and I also have a gateway.  Instead of fooling
around with uucp, we use Ymodem-Batch to transfer packets.  Zmodem could be
used since rz and sz are being used on the Unix end.  We use archive to
compress our packets [please, no flames about ARC...  we use it because more
than one file can be put together and compressed a fair amount].
   The Fido end calls the Unix box and instead of starting up /bin/[c,k]sh or
uucico, the gateway program is called.  It does a little housekeeping and
then rz and sz are spawned.
   Batched and unbatch news are both supported as well as regular mail.  We
are not yet ready to release the executables, but we SHOULD be by the end of
the month.  Routing through the gateway is done by sending to:
           ...!mfbbs!slick!NET!NODE!USER_NAME
   Where USER_NAME is first and last name, separated by a non-alphanumeric
character.
   Usenet feeds on FidoNet(EchoMail) are available.  Contact Jerry Bain or
me if you are interested.
   For mail the other direction (FidoNet to Usenet), send the message to
170/220.  The first line of the message MUST contain the keyword
     UUCP: routing!user
so an example might be:
     UUCP: mfbbs!marc.
---
Marc Randolph		...!rutgers!pbox!svo!mfbbs!marc

**NOTE:  mail should NOT be routed through okstate.  It is disappering and
         pbox [a private machine] is going to take its place.