[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Canadian comments

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (08/03/87)

I recently posted a list of UNIX(R)-like tools that run on MS-DOS
(e.g., IBM and compatible) PCs.  I said quite a few things about
Mortice Kern Systems and their MKS Toolkit.  I also said:

>            A friend of mine just ordered from them.  He said they
> sounded like stereotypical, "Great White North" Canadians.

I'm sorry if my comments on the "Great White North" accent offended
anyone.  I certainly didn't mean to; both my Chisholm grandparents were
born and raised in Nova Scotia, and I loved Canada both times I've
visited.

The comment on the accent came from someone who's lived all his life in
New Jersey.  When I talked someone at MKS, her accent was very
familiar; I've heard it a lot in Wisconsin and Minnesota.  It's not a
Canadian accent; it's the way people talk in that part of the
continent, no matter what side of the border they're from.  ("Great
White North" is a buzz phrase from a series of Second City comedy
sketches.  I certainly don't think the McKensie (sp.?) brothers are
typical Canadians!)

Also:
In article <399@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP writes:
> In article <1112@lznv.ATT.COM>, psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) says:
> >                         Final note:  how come we Americans can't sell
> > those nasty furriners *any* encryption software, but these Canadians
> > can sell us crypt(1)?  (Flames to /dev/null, *please*!)
>
> That's because the Americans are so paranoid about the Russians stealing
> technology from them that they won't sell encryption software to any
> "furriners". Canadians aren't that paranoid I guess...

Hear, hear!

That's not a Canadian problem, it's an American one.  Specifically, the
U.S. Department of Defense has managed to handicap many American
software publishers, including AT&T.  Look at Borland; they can't sell
Superkey to Canadians, or Mexacans, or anyone outside the country,
because it has a (probably trivial) file encryption utility.  When I
said "nasty furriners", I was trying to mock this paranoid attitude.
Sorry if my sarcasm seemed genuinely xenophobic.

There are some Americans who think of Canada as a second class nation.
On behalf of my country, I apologize for their bigotry.  I'm *not* one
of them.

This discussion obviously has nothing to do with PC compatibles.  If
you have anything else to say about the matter, either American/
Canadian xenophobia or U.S. export restrictions on encryption software,
please post it to talk.politics.misc (or soc.culture.canada, if there is
such a beast anywhere)-.  Please *remove* the cross-posting to
comp.sys.ibm.pc.  Better still, *mail* your complaints directly to me
at the address below.  (If you're a talk.politics.misc reader who thinks
I've redirected to the wrong place, tell me that via mail, also.)

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, UUCP {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,vax135,mtune}!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I wasn't speaking for my employer, I was just speaking my mind, and I'm
really sorry to any of you I offended.