[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hyperspace?!!

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (08/05/87)

In article <5776@ut-ngp.UUCP> ayac071@ngp.UUCP (Bill Douglass) writes:
>In article <1246@killer.UUCP> robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) writes:
>>I was talking to a friend the other day, and he said he worked for a
>>Company called Q-1 which had made a disk controler which would calculate
>>the distance that it had to jump to get to the track it needed to get to
>>(make sence so far?) and then would put the head into hyperspace to jump to
>>that track.  It usually came within 1 or 2 tracks of where it wanted to
>>be, so it just had to jump a track or 2.  It was programed to expect errors
>>on the way there though....2 questions:
>
>I would be wary of such a device if I were you.  I had one earlier, but didn't
>like it.  Seems that the head would jump to hyperspace, then reappear at the
>correct track, but at the wrong time.  Sometimes it would read data I had erased
>days ago, but occassionally it would read code I hadn't even written yet (I
>think nothing is worse than to see examples of code you have yet to write.  I
>still shutter to think about it!)
>
>Anyway, until they fix the problem with time-space relativity, I wouldn't
>recommend these babys to anyone.

I had a similar device and had also experienced problems with my data and
the space-time continuum.  In fact, once the controller goofed and it was
possible for me to read the finished version of a paper I was writing--a
real time-saver!  Errors like these kept happening and I kept bugging the
manufacturer to send a replacement.  When it arrived, it had the same
problems that the other one had.  I bugged them some more, and they sent a
third controller.  This one worked fine until one day something happend to
make the head crash when it was in hyperspace, and a Klingon battle cruiser
materialzed inside my computer and promptly fired a photon torpedo at the
motherboard--completely destroying it.  (luckily, this was covered by my
computer insurance policy).
After replacing the motherboard (and transporting a few tribbles onto the
Klingon vessel so that they would leave)  I tried to use Norton's Utilities
and chkdsk to recover what I could from the drive when it zoomed away at
warp 10 (or so) after another crash.

I guess any more followups should go to talk.bizarre

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

  please respond/reply to the above addresses and not to guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP