[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What to do with .ASM file

tmm1@mtuxo.UUCP (T.MORGAN) (08/03/87)

[]

This may seem like I a stupid question but:

  How do you turn a .ASM file into an executable program.

I belive it has something to do with LINK and DEBUG but I
am not sure.

Can anyone help?
--
Tommy Morgan                    mtuxo!tmm1
ATT Lincroft NJ                 attmail!tmorgan

"Summa cum luada,  magma cum luada,  the radio's too luada"

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (08/05/87)

In article <369@mtuxo.UUCP> tmm1@mtuxo.UUCP (T.MORGAN) writes:

>This may seem like I a stupid question but:
>  How do you turn a .ASM file into an executable program.
(?)
>I belive it has something to do with LINK and DEBUG but I
>am not sure.

You need to assemble the program with an assembler.  This
produces an object file ( .OBJ) which may then be linked
with the linkage editor.  Some of these .ASM files may be
intended for use with another language, whereby the object files
need to be linked in with the object files produced by your compiler.

If you don't have an assembler, you need to buy one; getting other
languages is nice too.

Dan

everett@hpcvlo.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (08/06/87)

>hpcvlo:comp.sys.ibm.pc / tmm1@mtuxo.UUCP (T.MORGAN) /  8:15 am  Aug  3, 1987 /
>This may seem like I a stupid question but:
>  How do you turn a .ASM file into an executable program.
>I belive it has something to do with LINK and DEBUG but I
>am not sure.

You're right, that DOES seem like a stupid question! :-)

Assuming that the .ASM file contains all of the source code, it's as simple
as:
    MASM xxx;
    LINK xxx;
where xxx is the name (without the .ASM extension) of the file.
If the file is ORGed at 100h (the statement would be near the beginning of the
file somewhere) then it was probably intended to be a .COM program, in which
case you will also need to:
    EXE2BIN xxx xxx.com
to convert the .EXE into a .COM program.
If that doesn't do it, then you need to sit down with the MASM, LINK, and
MS-DOS manuals for a while, and

                MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SANITY!

Everett Kaser
Hewlett-Packard Co.