[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PD profiler - anybody ?

frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) (08/05/87)

Does anyone know if there exists a public domain profiler for the PC ?
If so - where/how can I get it.

The reason I need this is that I have a *HUGE* C program (40K lines) that
I need to speed up by a factor of at least 2 or 3, by recoding the "hot
spots" in assembly language.

I need a program that can show me (graphically, in hex or whatever) where
the program spends most of its time.

If I can't find it i'll have to write it myself, but I just hate reinventing
the wheel :-)

--
Fridrik Skulason  Univ. of Iceland, Computing Center
       UUCP  ...mcvax!hafro!askja!frisk                BIX  frisk

                     "This line intentionally left blank"

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (08/07/87)

 In article <272@askja.UUCP>, frisk@askja.UUCP (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
 > Does anyone know if there exists a public domain profiler for the PC ?
 > If so - where/how can I get it.
 >
 > I need a program that can show me (graphically, in hex or whatever) where
 > the program spends most of its time.

I am not aware of any public domain tools to do this, but the MKS toolkit
($139 from  Mortice Kern Systems) includes a "prof" command that seems to
work quite well.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784