[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request For Comments-- Should IBM be on the net?

haque@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque) (08/09/87)

Please note this was written in a hurry.. Sorry for the grammar
and syntax. There aren't that many HOURS in a day to do everything
I wish!!

I am thinking of a proposal to "IBM" (we have a local liason office
here at the University of Minnesota) to invite them to become a new
member to USENET. With all the "millyuns and millyuns" of users and
megabytes of traffic flowing accross on comp.sys.ibm.pc and
comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest and whatever.else, and with all the discussion
that we do about them, against them, and for them.. [re: PS/2 vs DOS
and such].. it might be time for them to become aware of the vast
number of Technically Oriented Users out there! We are quite a community
of people .. covering all ranges of jobs.

What I am about to propose is something similiar to what SUN
microsystems has informally set up on the USENET. (I believe there is a
Daniel Bercel from SUN who is an avid fan in this group? She might be able
to correlate for me). If you have any comments,gripes about SUN products you
can mail to sun.UUCP and they would forward it internally to whoever was
responsible. They even welcome their own engineers to look out for possible
customer enquiries.. (example being fischer@umn-cs's request for info about
PC-NFS being carried on to the author of the Program itself, who works for
SUN).... This is the sort of communication that I would like to see.....
with IBM!!!!

What I really REALLY need is comments on the PROs and CONs and
usefullness/un-usefullness of such a "gateway" to IBM. What I will
be doing is collecting all responses and forwarding to the local
liason team here through BITNET.  I am currently suggesting using a IBM/RT
using UUCP as a gateway to transfer between IBM internal network (how does
that work?) and the rest-of-the-world. More information requested from
knowledgable USENETters.

Samudra E. Haque
Computer Science Systems Group (CSSG)
Computer Science Department
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
(612) 625-0876
haque@umn-cs.ARPA || haque@umn-cs.UUCP || haque@uminn1.BITNET

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (08/09/87)

In article <1903@umn-cs.UUCP> haque@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque) writes:
[proposal to invite IBM to be on Usenet]

I think we should get PC's Limited on the net first.   Also Borland.

Not much interest here in hearing why IBM stuff costs twice as much
as everybody else's.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

schung@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Stephen the Greatest) (08/10/87)

I think it will be neat to have IBM on the net.  Just like in comp.sys.mac
they have Apple answering their questions and gripes.

sugih jamin

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/10/87)

In article <1903@umn-cs.UUCP> haque@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque) writes:
|I am thinking of a proposal to "IBM" (we have a local liason office
|here at the University of Minnesota) to invite them to become a new
|member to USENET.  -- more --

This implies:
 a) IBM admits that their products are not perfect
 b) that they care.

Seriously:
 Relevant articles from this group (technical issues) are forwarded to
IBM. I have posted some patches and technical info to this group which
has come from IBM. They don't want to hear questions about policy, and
only have interest when one of their products doesn't work.

 By all means invite them, but don't be surprized if they reject you.
They just got rid of the group which supported PC user groups (or cut it
way back), on the grounds that the market was corporate.  Be assured
that some of these notes do reach IBM.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (08/10/87)

IBM already *is* on the net: their Almaden Research Center has
a 3081 called IBM.COM, their Yorktown Heights Research lab has
a machine on Usenet called "polaris.UUCP."  They also have a bunch
of individual machines on BITNET, as well as a gateway to their
internal network called "VNET."

So much for invitations . . . :)

# Henry Mensch / <henry@garp.mit.edu> / E40-379 MIT, Cambridge, MA
#      {ames,cca,rochester,harvard,mit-eddie}!garp!henry

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (08/11/87)

>  By all means invite them, but don't be surprized if they reject you.
> They just got rid of the group which supported PC user groups (or cut it
> way back), on the grounds that the market was corporate.  Be assured
> that some of these notes do reach IBM.

...it should be noted that IBM has cut funding to a lot of external user
functions, such as Relay and Project Quest. The reasons for this have really
been vague, and IBM seems to be trying to isolate itself from any sort of
outside contact for some reason or another. Any comments on this?

						Omega.Mosley

martillo@athena.mit.edu (Yakim Martillo) (08/11/87)

I thought IBM was on the net.  I see Yaacov Rekhter who did the
TCP/IP port for Xenix and tn3270 posting fairly frequently.

Yaqim Martillo

aiv@euraiv1.UUCP (08/11/87)

in article <946@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) says:
> In article <1903@umn-cs.UUCP> haque@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque) writes:
> [proposal to invite IBM to be on Usenet]
>
> I think we should get PC's Limited on the net first.   Also Borland.
>
> Not much interest here in hearing why IBM stuff costs twice as much
> as everybody else's.

To feed the discussion:
1.	although IBM may be expensive, they're still more or less an
	"industry-leader". Especially with OS/2 coming up it may be
	interesting to have some knowledgable first-hand feedback.
2.	it might be a nice thing to have a "code-of-conduct" for commercial
	participants on the net; that way we'll all know what we're up to.
	This code might for example forbid over-advertising of a company's
	own products, over-critizing other companies' products etc.
	Any company that is willing to confirm to the code should be allowed
	the net if a sufficient number of users agrees; now, define
	"sufficient".... (fe. #pro > 10*contra ?)
3.	IF we invite Borland, we should force them to make patches available
	on a server that can be accessed by anyone on USEnet, not just by
	those on ARPAnet or Compuserve. [yes I use Turbo C ;-)]

Eelco van Asperen.

Erasmus University Rotterdam            |uucp:mcvax!eurifb!euraiv1!evas
Fac. of Economics,Computer Science Dept.|earn:asperen@hroeur5
PO.box  1738 / 3000 DR  Rotterdam       |
T H E    N E T H E R L A N D S          |Yet Another Silly Signature.