[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Bus mouse and COM ports !

yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) (08/05/87)

I got a question, does a BUS mouse use up a COM port as currently, I
have a external modem (COM1) and a hookup (COM2) to a laser printer.

If I were to purchase a BUS mouse, what happens ?
Does it need COM1 or COM2 configuration ?

Thanks for any feedback !

Yao Chung Lee
University of Wisconsin, Madison
ARPA: yao-chun@puff.wisc.edu
UUCP: ...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!puff!yao-chun

brimoe@hope.UUCP (Brian Bender) (08/08/87)

In article <928@puff.WISC.EDU>, yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) writes:

> I got a question, does a BUS mouse use up a COM port as currently, I
> have a external modem (COM1) and a hookup (COM2) to a laser printer.
>
> If I were to purchase a BUS mouse, what happens ?
> Does it need COM1 or COM2 configuration ?
>
> Thanks for any feedback !

> Yao Chung Lee
> University of Wisconsin, Madison
> ARPA: yao-chun@puff.wisc.edu
> UUCP: ...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!puff!yao-chun

answer:....NOPE

Brimoe, Brian Bender @ University of calif, Riverside
  UUCP:   {ucbvax!ucdavis,sdcsvax,ucivax}!ucrmath!hope!brimoe

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x                                                x
x              [@@@@@@@@][@@@@@@@@]              x
x               (@@@@@@/  \@@@@@@)               x
x                (@@@@/    \@@@@)                x
x                                                x
x  "The Future's so bright - gotta wear shades!" x

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (08/13/87)

In article <1410@hope.UUCP> brimoe@hope.UUCP (Brian Bender) writes:
>In article <928@puff.WISC.EDU>, yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) writes:
>>
>> I got a question, does a BUS mouse use up a COM port as currently, I
>> have a external modem (COM1) and a hookup (COM2) to a laser printer.
>>
>> If I were to purchase a BUS mouse, what happens ?
>> Does it need COM1 or COM2 configuration ?
>> Yao Chung Lee
>> University of Wisconsin, Madison
>> ARPA: yao-chun@puff.wisc.edu
>> UUCP: ...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!puff!yao-chun
>
>answer:....NOPE
>
>Brimoe, Brian Bender @ University of calif, Riverside
>  UUCP:   {ucbvax!ucdavis,sdcsvax,ucivax}!ucrmath!hope!brimoe

hmm, I don't think this is the correct answer. I have a Microsoft Bus mouse,
and have also had experience with the Logitech Bus mouse. Both are excellent
the Microsoft mouse is, however, more expensive and the Logitech mouse comes
with more software to install with existing software.

In the installation manual for the bus mouse adapter card is a page that
describes how to set the jumper (you have 4 choices: 2,3,4 or 5)
And only Microsoft would tell you INDIRECTLY and BACKWARDS how to install
the mouse:

If you have...               Do not use pair...

Asynchronous Com Adapter
1st serial port (com1)                4

Synchronous Data Link Control
Com Adapter                           4

Binary Synchronous Com Adapter
1st serial port (com1)                4

Asynchronous Com Adapter
2nd serial port (com2)                3

IBM XT                                5

IBM AT                                2

And a few others...

Obviously, the jumpers 2 thru 5 refer to the IRQ or interrupts 2 thru 5. 4, or
course is com1: and 3 is com2:.

So, the answer to the question is YES, you do need to set the interrupt. For
example, I use two serial ports AND the bus mouse in my machine. THEREFORE,
I use IRQ 2, or pin 2 because I have an XT clone.

I hope you buy a mouse...

Aloha,

--
Jonathan Spangler