[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ECHO a blank line

reeves@amd.AMD.COM (JR) (08/12/87)

After posting the previous arcticle about ECHOing a blank line
using hex FF , I tried a few other things and realized that the EASIEST
way is to simply type ECHO. (NOTE THE PERIOD DIRECTLY FOLLWING THE WORD
ECHO) This will give a blank line but will NOT print the (.) If you want to print a period put a spcae after the word ECHO

This method is much more straight forward than  the last perversion I posted.

J. Reeves

sarah@laticorp.UUCP (08/13/87)

In article <4324@amd.AMD.COM>, reeves@amd.AMD.COM (JR) writes:
> After posting the previous arcticle about ECHOing a blank line
> using hex FF , I tried a few other things and realized that the EASIEST
> way is to simply type ECHO. (NOTE THE PERIOD DIRECTLY FOLLWING THE WORD
> ECHO) This will give a blank line but will NOT print the (.) If you want to print a period put a spcae after the word ECHO
>
> This method is much more straight forward than  the last perversion I posted.
>
> J. Reeves

Under Sperry DOS 3.1, typing ECHO. will echo "ECHO is on" (or off).  ECHO.
does seem to work on every other DOS I've tried (MS, PC).

The suggestion which I received via e-mail from several people was to
echo either hex FF (per your original suggestion), or echo a delete
character or decimal 255 (using ALT 127 for delete, ALT 255 for the other).
That works on Sperry DOS also.

The solution I've gone for is to echo a delete character.  Can anyone think
of a reason why that might be a bad idea?

Many thanks to everyone who has responded--I was not always able to get
mail back to the people who sent me mail.

Sarah Groves Hobart