[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accessing com3 or com4 on an ibmpc-at

hutton@pacific.UUCP (hutton) (08/08/87)

I have an IBM PC/AT that I currently need to add two more com ports (com3 and
com4).  The card I purchased is switchable for that range ports 3 and 4, my
question is, How do I get msdos 3.1 or 3.2 to recognize a com3 or com4
device.  I need them to be available (all 4) from general utilities we
have, not just from programs we can recompile.  Anyway to get a com3   and com4
available to DOS.  I assumed it was possible since the card is for an AT
and it is switchable for these positions.

=========================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas Hutton
                         {ucbvax,decvax,seismo}sdcsvax!pacific!hutton
			 hutton@seismo.ARPA

## The above comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone   ##
## much less Pacific Microcomputers and if the corporation wants them to, ##
## they'll have to pay through the nose for the rights!!                  ##

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (08/13/87)

>I have an IBM PC/AT that I currently need to add two more com ports (com3 and
>com4).  The card I purchased is switchable for that range ports 3 and 4, my
>question is, How do I get msdos 3.1 or 3.2 to recognize a com3 or com4
>=========================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas Hutton
>                         {ucbvax,decvax,seismo}sdcsvax!pacific!hutton

You need a copy of DOS 3.3, which, among other things, supports four serial
ports.

Aloha,

--
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (08/15/87)

 In article <3419@islenet.UUCP>, jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
 > >I have an IBM PC/AT that I currently need to add two more com ports (com3
 > >and com4).  The card I purchased is switchable for that range ports 3 and
 > >4, my question is, How do I get msdos 3.1 or 3.2 to recognize a com3 or com4
 > >=========================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thomas Hutton
 > >                         {ucbvax,decvax,seismo}sdcsvax!pacific!hutton
 > >

 > You need a copy of DOS 3.3, which, among other things, supports four serial
 > ports.

It is also possible to use an installable driver with earlier versions
of DOS.  I was using one for a while that supported COM3 only, but there
should be no problem writing one for any number of COM ports.

There are two problems with this method:
1) There is not a whole lot of standardization on what ports and interrupts
   get assigned to COM3 and COM4.  This means that you have to be sure
   your hardware and software agree on these points.
2) Because of this lack of standardization and lack of BIOS support for
   COM3 and COM4, you may have difficulty using the ports with any application
   that tries to access the ports using other than MS-DOS system calls.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784