[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What an astonishing waste of bandwidth...

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (08/15/87)

A friend of mine asked me to post this for him, since currently his site
'squid' only gets comp.sys.ibm.pc on a read-only basis.  He makes very valid
points, especially when one thinks about the upcoming departure of seismo
from the Usenet, presumably from the high load.  For those who just
can't resist the urge to counter-flame, both of our signatures are at the
end of this message.
Hey, people, instead of mailing umpteen dozen copies of old version of LIST
around the net, or posting it 3 or 4 times as a uuencoded binary, why not
just go download the latest release directly from the guy who wrote it?
His name is Vern Buerg, and his bbs number is (415) 994-2944. Vern is a
veritable msdos guru, and he has lots of other neat utils, too.

Folks just don't seem to realize the awesome costs involved in propagating
crap like this around the net.  "Oh, well, it doesn't come out of my pocket,
so why should I care?" Or is it, "I'm gonna graduate in a year or two, who
cares if the net goes away after that?"

There are thousands of msdos-oriented bbs's worldwide, and many of them have
the executables that are being posted and reposted here all the time. Try
dialing up your local bbs's before you ask somebody to post LIST or ARC or
whatever, for the 18th time.

AT&T came *real* close to pulling the plug not so long ago, and nodes are
dropping out due to excessive costs all the time. Be a little more considerate
of the people whose phone bills you're dumping on. Just because it doesn't
come out of YOUR pocket doesn't mean it's "free".

David Drexler
"A Monk of Bulldada"
  uucp:  ihnp4!occrsh!squid!david  +++  SOURCEry System BBS, matrix 1:19/0
  vox:   <405> 720-9630            +++  <405> 728-2463 (2400/1200/300)
Richard Todd
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
UUCP: {cbosgd|ihnp4}!occrsh!uokmax!rmtodd

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (08/17/87)

In article <647@uokmax.UUCP>, rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
> Hey, people, instead of mailing umpteen dozen copies of old version of LIST
> around the net, or posting it 3 or 4 times as a uuencoded binary, why not
> just go download the latest release directly from the guy who wrote it?
> His name is Vern Buerg, and his bbs number is (415) 994-2944. Vern is a
> veritable msdos guru, and he has lots of other neat utils, too.
>
> Folks just don't seem to realize the awesome costs involved in propagating
> crap like this around the net.  "Oh, well, it doesn't come out of my pocket,
> so why should I care?" Or is it, "I'm gonna graduate in a year or two, who
> cares if the net goes away after that?"
>
> There are thousands of msdos-oriented bbs's worldwide, and many of them have
> the executables that are being posted and reposted here all the time. Try
> dialing up your local bbs's before you ask somebody to post LIST or ARC or
> whatever, for the 18th time.

I completely agree.  As a long-time PC user, I have a copy of ARC, PK(X)ARC,
and most of the other software packages that are so often asked for on the
net; and I DIDN'T GET THEM FROM THE NET.  It doesn't matter where you live,
there's got to be at least one PC-oriented BBS in your area.  After all,
I live in South Bend, Indiana and there's a half-dozen in my local calling
area.  My favorite (now here's the plug) is the River City Network BBS
at 219-287-3358 running 24 hrs, 300/1200/2400 with 240 MBytes of disk space;
and it's COMPLETELY FREE!

Support you local bbs.

	Evan Bauman
	University of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (08/17/87)

In article <647@uokmax.UUCP>, rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
> Hey, people, instead of mailing umpteen dozen copies of old version of LIST
> around the net, or posting it 3 or 4 times as a uuencoded binary, why not
> just go download the latest release directly from the guy who wrote it?

This is quite true. I have found that by the time anything is posted here,
it is a hundred years old. It is a lot more useful to go to your neighboor
BBS and get a newer copy. If the utility is useful, then the copy you get
will probably be more recent.

Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.gov
...!cmcl2!lanl!myxm