[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone use RPG II on a PC?

asf@sbcs.UUCP (Alan S. Fink) (08/14/87)

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me.  I have a client whose software
runs on an IBM S/36 and is written in RPG II.  For the sake of increasing
my productivity and hours-worked-per-day (I currently have a 3 hour commute
each way, which leaves me somewhat exhausted), he has asked me to look into
PC software which will essentially emulate a S/36 with RPG II (rel 4 or 5)
and OCL (rel 5).  I've received information from the software companies who
manufacture such a product, but I would like to know if anybody out there has
used any of the following and what they think of them.  The software I know
of is:

	- Baby/36 Full System	California Software Products
	- Micro RPG II		Native Software
	- RPG II		Software West

Price is not really an object, but if anybody's used Baby/36, is it worth the
additional $2000 over and above the cost of the other companies software?  If
anybody knows of other software packages for S/36 development on a PC please
let me know of them too.

Thanks in adavance,
Alan Fink

--
Alan S. Fink
UUCP:  {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!asf

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) (08/18/87)

In article <501@sbcs.UUCP> asf@sbcs.UUCP (Alan S. Fink) writes:
>I'm hoping somebody out there can help me.  I have a client whose software
>runs on an IBM S/36 and is written in RPG II.  For the sake of increasing
>my productivity and hours-worked-per-day (I currently have a 3 hour commute
>each way, which leaves me somewhat exhausted), he has asked me to look into
>PC software which will essentially emulate a S/36 with RPG II (rel 4 or 5)
>and OCL (rel 5).  I've received information from the software companies who
>manufacture such a product, but I would like to know if anybody out there has
>used any of the following and what they think of them.  The software I know
>of is:
>
>	- Baby/36 Full System	California Software Products
>	- Micro RPG II		Native Software
>	- RPG II		Software West

When we were converting from our (*eek*) System/32 to a PC system
(recently), we looked into the Baby/36 system.  Apparently it is a
pretty good system -- it's been out for several years and they are
still in business.  I don't have any other experience with it, though.

We converted with Lattice's RPG II compiler.  Right now it's in
version 1.12 and was released just a year ago.  It's not perfect but
they are working hard on it and each new version has been a dramatic
improvement.

Here's a run-down on Lattice's product:
	* generates native code
	* fully supports just about everything except IBM S/3x machine
	  calls (which is not surprizing).  does support external
	  function calls from other compilers.
	* allows both EBCDIC and ASCII operation.  EBCDIC operation
	  correctly supports the stranger move operations (move zone,
	  etc).
	* uses dBASE files to store data.
	* allows multiple indexes.

Its code runs quite faster than it did on our System/32, but that's
not surprizing either.

Caveats:
	* not fully debugged.  there are small problems with multifile
	  (3+) processing with addrout files and also some strange
	  things having to do with overflow detection/page breaks.
	* only allows one addrout file per program (this wasn't
	  documented but I found it).
	* KEY and SET operations sometimes operate strangely, but
	  anything that uses workstations will work nice as long as
	  you use a monochrome monitor.
	* not completely compatible with the way IBM handles numeric
	  fields.  if you program correctly, this is not a problem; if
	  you do things like overlap char/numeric fields, it can cause
	  problems.  basically Lattice does checks for the validity of
	  numeric fields while IBM does not.

The Lattice Tech people were very helpful every time I needed help
overcoming some strangeness in their compiler.

They also offer an SEU (not too bad although it could use some work --
beats the hell out of the SEU that I had on the S/32, though) and a
sort/merge.  The sort/merge is incredible.  We sped up program
operations immensely just because of the speed of this program.  It is
possible to completely emulate IBM sorts (#GSORT) up to the System/34.
I haven't seen docs for the /36 so I don't know about that.

They have no equivalent OCL package.  I ended up writing an OCL as
well as a sort converter (loads in place of #GSORT, translates the
sort specs and then calls their sort/merge).  This was quite a task
but seems to work well.

CONCLUSIONS

Overall I'm not terribly impressed with the Lattice product in its
current version.  A new version with major revisions is supposed to be
released shortly, however.  This release should fix most of the
problems that we had (according to Lattice).

Their sort/merge is good enough that I would buy it for any sorting
operation.

If Lattice were to provide an OCL, they would have a nice package.

--

Disclaimer:  This was provided for public information.  I have no
	     relation to Lattice except that I use some of their

          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"