[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Protection problem real??

news@santra.UUCP (news) (08/14/87)

In article <320@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
]
]Why? Intel goofed once again in it's architectural design. The chip IS NOT
]fully protected while running in protected mode. A user level program can
]bring the chip, and all the other users on that chip, down quite easily.
]And there's not a DAMN thing the OS writer can do about it.
]
Is this true or just a piece of net misinformation?  Could someone say
how this might happen?

	/Jerry Lahti

clif@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser) (08/17/87)

> In article <320@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> ]
> ]Why? Intel goofed once again in it's architectural design. The chip IS NOT
> ]fully protected while running in protected mode. A user level program can
> ]bring the chip, and all the other users on that chip, down quite easily.
> ]And there's not a DAMN thing the OS writer can do about it.
> ]
> Is this true or just a piece of net misinformation?  Could someone say
> how this might happen?
>
> 	/Jerry Lahti

I suspect that Mr. Turner is spreading disinformation (sounds like he
has a promising future in politics).

I challenge Mr. Turner to produce user code that will crash a 386 system.
To make the challenge even more interesting I will give him a $100 if he
succeeds, if he fails, he promises to stop insulting Intel products for 1
year.  The conditions are straightforward he produces the user code that
crashes the system, I describe the behavior of the OS which prevents his
code from crashing the system.

Well Scott do you accept?
--
Clif Purkiser, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!clif

These views are my own property.  However anyone who wants them can have
them for a nominal fee.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/18/87)

>> In article <320@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
|
| Why? Intel goofed once again in it's architectural design. The chip IS NOT
| fully protected while running in protected mode. A user level program can
| bring the chip, and all the other users on that chip, down quite easily.
| And there's not a DAMN thing the OS writer can do about it.

I have sent Mr Turner two Email letters requesting that he demonstrate
this, or retract it. I believe that it is true of the 80286, but doesn't
seem to be for the 386. I think this whole claim is the product of an
overloaded undergraduate mind.

Personal to Mr Turner:
  My cow is dead, I don't need your bull!

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen