[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM and $$$$

paul@devon.UUCP (Paul Sutcliffe Jr.) (08/19/87)

In article <182@hobbes.UUCP> root@hobbes.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> +---- Robert Cain writes the following in article <79@LBI.UUCP> ----
> | Oh BIG BLUE if only you would have known the Frankinstein you created!
>
> They have sold much more than 5 MILLION of these beasts - Figure a standard
> 35% markup from wholesale to retail, and you still get several billion dollars
> income!  Quita a profitable Frankenstein!  And that's what drives IBM,
> profits!  Not state of the art, not segments, not CPU speed, but $$$$.

I once worked for a man who, himself, had once worked for IBM.  He had
this to say about what drives IBM:  "You know how IBM says that 'Service
is their middle name'?  Bullsh*t, BUSINESS is their middle name."

I couldn't agree more.

- paul

--
Paul Sutcliffe, Jr.

UUCP (smart):  paul@devon.UUCP
UUCP (dumb):   ...{seismo,ihnp4,cbosgd}!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!paul