[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS max open files

tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) (08/04/87)

I met the 20-files limit. That is, somewhere in a DOS programmers manual
 appears:

	When MS-DOS creates or opens a file, it assigns the first
	available handle. A program can have 20 open handles; this
	includes the five predefined handles, so a program can
	typically open 15 extra files. [...]

 but I want to open more files!
Has anyone reached this limit and found a way to overtake it ?
I know 'files' and 'fcbs' keywords from config.sys but that won't let
 you go past 20.
All kind of info is welcome! (I mean, usefull one ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Carlos G Mendioroz - Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Culto
		     Buenos Aires  ARGENTINA
UUCP : {seismo|uunet|pyramid!utai|decvax!utcsri}!atina!mrecvax!tron

"I've had nothing yet",Alice replied in an
offended tone, "so I can't take more."
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter:
"it's very easy to take more than nothing."

gkb@necntc.NEC.COM (Greg Busby) (08/19/87)

In article <372@mrecvax.UUCP> tron@mrecvax.UUCP (Carlos Mendioroz) writes:
>I met the 20-files limit. That is, somewhere in a DOS programmers manual
> appears:
>
>	When MS-DOS creates or opens a file, it assigns the first
>	available handle. A program can have 20 open handles; this
>	includes the five predefined handles, so a program can
>	typically open 15 extra files. [...]
>
> but I want to open more files!
>Has anyone reached this limit and found a way to overtake it ?
>I know 'files' and 'fcbs' keywords from config.sys but that won't let
> you go past 20.
>Carlos G Mendioroz - Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Culto

There was a column in _Infoworld_ (June 8 or15, I think) by Steve Gibson
in which he said that he'd gotten a TSRto work with all versins of DOS
3.x which would allow any application to open up to 256 files.  Even
better, he said he was putting the source and executable code into the
public domain (but, I assume, keeping the copyrights).  Best of all,
though, is that he said he would send fully documented source and
executable to anyone who asked for it and sent him a blank, formatted
5 1/4" diskette and an addressed, postage-paid return mailer.  I thought
this was so nice of him that I sent mine in a week or so aog (things get
backed up).  So, I expect that I will be getting this before too long.
When I do, if it is not a violation of his rights, I will post the
source code on the net (comp.sources.ibm.pc).  If you can't wait, here
is the address he gave in _Infoworld_ (but don't flood the guy, if you
*can* wait):

	Gibson Research
	Steve's TSR Offer
	Box 6024
	Irvine, CA  92716

Remember, include a formatted diskette and an addressed, postage-paid
return mailer for it.  It sounds like a great deal for those of us who
need more than 20 files.

GKB