[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 20 mg hard card / ventilation

tpf@gitpyr.UUCP (06/14/87)

I recently purchased a CMS 20 meg hard card, which according to the
instructions I placed in the left-most slot of my PC.  Since the CMS
card seems to take up just over 1.5 slots, and all of my other slots
are full, this was the only place for it anyway.

However, when I have my PC on for more than about three hours, I start
getting 'sector not found' errors, and eventually the entire machine is
operationless.  I discovered that this was because the hard card was
overheating.  Now I'm running my PC with the case open and a house fan
pointed at the hard card.  This works great!! (but not a permanent solution).

I have a brand new 130 watt power supply.

Has anyone had similar problems??

                                     Tom Friedel

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (06/18/87)

In article <3737@gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, tpf@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Tom Friedel) writes:
> I recently purchased a CMS 20 meg hard card, which according to the
> instructions I placed in the left-most slot of my PC.  Since the CMS
> card seems to take up just over 1.5 slots, and all of my other slots
> are full, this was the only place for it anyway.
>
> However, when I have my PC on for more than about three hours, I start
> getting 'sector not found' errors, and eventually the entire machine is
> operationless.  I discovered that this was because the hard card was
> overheating.  Now I'm running my PC with the case open and a house fan
> pointed at the hard card.  This works great!! (but not a permanent solution).

This is the exact opposite of a problem I had with a FlashCard-20 that
I purchased from Compu-Add.  The card would not boot from a cold
start, especially if the computer had been off for a few days.  I could
boot from a floppy, but then I would get a lot of 'sector not found' or
'disk seek error' type errors.  After about an hour, the disk would warm
up sufficiently to enable a boot from the card and subsequent normal
operation.  I returned the card to Compu-Add (it was under a one-year
warranty) and received a replacement in a few days.  The replacement was
not a new drive but it has worked flawlessly.

  Evan Bauman
  University of Notre Dame
  ..!seismo!ndmath!ndcheg!evan

rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) (08/21/87)

In article <3737@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> tpf@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Tom Friedel) writes:
>However, when I have my PC on for more than about three hours, I start
>getting 'sector not found' errors, and eventually the entire machine is
>operationless.  I discovered that this was because the hard card was
>overheating.  Now I'm running my PC with the case open and a house fan
>pointed at the hard card.  This works great!! (but not a permanent solution).
>
>Has anyone had similar problems??

Not with a Hard Card, but with a 20 Meg Seagate internal hard disk. I have
a suped up IBM PC Portable (Really an XT in a smaller case). I was told you
couldn't put a hard disk in one, so I went and bought one anyway. I made my
own external case (out of a Radio Schack "experiments case"), and fixed up
my own wiring.

Sure enough, same symptoms: after about 3 hours...sector errors then system
shutdown. I took the case apart, drilled some more vents, afixed a small
casing fan (intended for a Mac), and...voila! No more problems, and I've
had it on for weeks at a time....

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!demillo
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::DEMILLO
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN