[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Filter on printer cable

kotlas@ecsvax.UUCP (Carolyn Kotlas) (08/20/87)

We just got a new IBM Proprinter with a printer cable which has a small
black box attached to the cable.  This is a "ferrite filter" which, upon
opening it up to examine the contents, appears to be a weak magnet (it
isn't strong enough to pick up paperclips).  Weak though it may be, can
anyone tell us if this filter could damage floppy disk data?
Thanks for any insight into this,
Carolyn
--
Carolyn Kotlas    (kotlas@ecsvax)
UNC-Educational Computing Service   P. O. Box 12035      2 Davis Drive

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (08/21/87)

In article <3732@ecsvax.UUCP>, kotlas@ecsvax.UUCP (Carolyn Kotlas) writes:

> We just got a new IBM Proprinter with a printer cable which has a small
> black box attached to the cable.  This is a "ferrite filter" which, upon
> opening it up to examine the contents, appears to be a weak magnet (it
> isn't strong enough to pick up paperclips).  Weak though it may be, can
> anyone tell us if this filter could damage floppy disk data?

If this is indeed a ferrite filter, it probably is there to filter out
any strong nearby radio frequency fields (which would mess up what the
printer is supposed to print).  Ferrites are not strongly magnetic and
unless you insisted on rubbing the surface of a floppy against it, the
data would remain intact.  Nevertheless you would be advised not to
place floppies on the box containing this filter, as you would also
be advised generally not to allow floppies to lie on any magnetized
surface.  Floppies use a magnetic medium to record data in the form
of localized magnetic fields.  Changing these fields by bringing
a magnetic field close to the surface of a floppy will damage this
data.

Forrest Gehrke

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (08/21/87)

In article <3732@ecsvax.UUCP>, kotlas@ecsvax.UUCP (Carolyn Kotlas) writes:

> We just got a new IBM Proprinter with a printer cable which has a small
> black box attached to the cable.  This is a "ferrite filter" which, upon
> opening it up to examine the contents, appears to be a weak magnet (it
> isn't strong enough to pick up paperclips).  Weak though it may be, can
> anyone tell us if this filter could damage floppy disk data?
> Thanks for any insight into this,

The ferrite is not usually a magnet. It is just a hunk of metal that serves
to add inductance to the cable, thus preventing high frequency noise from
getting from one end to the other.

If you really want to test it, though, just use a newly formatted disk,
put some files on it, rub the ferrite against it, then see if you can
read all the files.  If it does mess up the disk, post a warning and
reformat the disk.  If it doesn't, then you're safe.

--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\' Gerry Wheeler {decvax,ihnp4,seismo}!watmath!mks!wheels
    /ll/// //l' `\\\   Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

kotlas@ecsvax.UUCP (Carolyn Kotlas) (08/22/87)

> > We just got a new IBM Proprinter with a printer cable which has a small
> > black box attached to the cable.  This is a "ferrite filter" which, upon
> > opening it up to examine the contents, appears to be a weak magnet (it
> > isn't strong enough to pick up paperclips).  Weak though it may be, can
> > anyone tell us if this filter could damage floppy disk data?

Here's some more responses I received from my query.  Thanks for all
the information.
---
You do not have to worry about the torroid filter on your printer
cable.  It is a non-magnetic powdered iron ferrite torroidal core that is used
to prevent the cable from passing radio frequency or audio frequency currents,
while still passing  low audio frequency digital characters.  These types of
filters are common these days.  They will have just a slight magnetic field
around them when data is going by or if the printer cable has a voltage
on it.  Such magnetic fields are relatively small, and if the thing is even
remotely shielded (as in some sort of a box), there should be no stray magnetic
field at approximately 3 times the diameter from the core.  The design of the
torroidal core is such that essentially all of the magnetic field that might
be induced in the core are retained essentially inside the core.

You should be able to place a disk very close or even on the filter and have
essentially zero effect.  To check this out, copy some files to fill up a disk,
place the disk on the filter for several weeks, then run a chkdsk on the disk
to see if anything was messed up.  Alternatively, make up two identical disks,
placing one on the filter and another in a safe place.  After several weeks,
run a disk compare between the two disks.

R. D. Keys -- rdkeys@ecsvax

Yeah, we have these things too.  I'm seeing them pop up all over,
mostly on video cables (eg. Multisync).

Question is -- do they really do much at all?  (Or merely a
prop to obtain FCC certification or something?)

Thomas M. Hundt / BELLCORE Morristown NJ / hundt@bellcore.bellcore.com