[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS Toolkit?

gt@hpfcmt.HP.COM (George Tatge) (08/10/87)

Anybody have some concrete ordering info for MKS Toolkit?  Somebody told
me I wanted it but not where to get it.

thanks

George Tatge

twb@hoqax.UUCP (BEATTIE) (08/13/87)

In article <690001@hpfcmt.HP.COM>, gt@hpfcmt.HP.COM (George Tatge) writes:
> Anybody have some concrete ordering info for MKS Toolkit?

Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
43 Bridgeport Road East
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2J2J4
(519) 884-2251
{allegra, decvax, ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit

Price: $139.00

dave@mtuxo.UUCP (Dave Lindsay) (08/13/87)

In article <690001@hpfcmt.HP.COM>, gt@hpfcmt.HP.COM (George Tatge) writes:
> Anybody have some concrete ordering info for MKS Toolkit?  Somebody told
> me I wanted it but not where to get it.
>
> thanks
>
> George Tatge

Mortice Kern Systems Inc.
43 Bridgeport Road East
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada  N2J 2J4
(519) 884-2251
uucp: {allegra, decvax, ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit

waynec@hpsrlc.UUCP (08/14/87)

Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
43 Bridgeport Road East
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada     N2J 2J4

(519) 884-2251

Toolkit = $139.

They will refer you to a local or mail-order distributor.

hrh@well.UUCP (08/16/87)

In article <3320045@hpsrlc.HP.COM> waynec@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) writes:
>Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
>43 Bridgeport Road East
>Waterloo, Ontario, Canada     N2J 2J4
>
>(519) 884-2251

I ordered a copy via uucp
ihnp4!watmath!mks!toolkit   (with a VISA number)
because they noted in one of their ads in *UNIX World* that they take
orders via uucp. Took about fifteen days to get the order.
I would be interested in corresponding by email with other users of
the toolkit. It's an impressive subset of UNIX system V and runs
very well on PCs. You can run it with Sidekick if you're careful,
there are several sample configurations given, and you can even
maintain multiple environments for different projects.
I have sent them a bug report though because "find" does not seem
to work when current directory is root. I haven't banged on the
toolkit enough to know if there are other bugs. The "vi" that
comes in the toolkit is very fast and nice and supports the PC
cursor control keys.

 Of course MKS is a borderline topic for this newsgroup and might be better
in one of the UNIX newsgroups, I guess.

--
The opinions expressed are my own, but you're welcome to share them.
Harry Henderson (freelance technical editor/writer).

jim@ic2020.UUCP (Jim Carter) (08/16/87)

> I ordered a copy via uucp
> ihnp4!watmath!mks!toolkit   (with a VISA number)
> because they noted in one of their ads in *UNIX World* that they take
> orders via uucp.

I know that that ALL usenet users are honest and trustworthy, but Don't
you think this is kinda risky having your credit card number spooled
from here to mks's machine ?? Just a thought.  I didn't see the add in
UNIX world.  I would be interested in looking at the add.

> Took about fifteen days to get the order.
> I would be interested in corresponding by email with other users of
> the toolkit.

I think this is quite a good idea.  I wonder if mks would be willing
to help ??  I.E. set up a mail list or such.

-- Jim Carter : uucp ...!crash!ic2020!jim

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (08/22/87)

In article <3753@well.UUCP>, hrh@well.UUCP (Harry Henderson) writes:
> In article <3320045@hpsrlc.HP.COM> waynec@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) writes:
> >Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
> >43 Bridgeport Road East
> >Waterloo, Ontario, Canada     N2J 2J4
> >
> >(519) 884-2251
> >
> I would be interested in corresponding by email with other users of
> the toolkit. It's an impressive subset of UNIX system V and runs
> very well on PCs. You can run it with Sidekick if you're careful,
> there are several sample configurations given, and you can even
> maintain multiple environments for different projects.
> I have sent them a bug report though because "find" does not seem
> to work when current directory is root. I haven't banged on the
> toolkit enough to know if there are other bugs.

Where I work for money nowadays we're having our share of problems
with a couple of the utilities.  Most of them (especially the VI)
are really nice-- gotta love being able to "suspend a VI session"
in DOS-- but ls, of all things, doesn't seem to work if you're
running Novell network software and you try to ls a network drive.
Kind of a pity.
Also, the Kornshell they provide doesn't work with Novell network.
Plus it seems to go insane if you type ^P in "vi" command-line-editing
mode.   These two bugs make it almost unusable.
A real shame-- we almost had the best answer to the problem of
the feebleness of COMMAND.COM.

Despite my mentions of bugs, I'd still suggest buying this product
if you want an environment which looks a lot more like Unix than
COMMAND.COM will ever come.  It's nice, and works really well
as long as you don't have the Novell network stuff.
Even if you can't work with the shell, the utilities alone are just
wonderful to have around.

Anyway, that's it...    -Antonio Romero		romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU